Chapter 1: Not-so-Humble Beginnings

It was a beautiful day in Monstro City. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the citizens of this fair city were waking up to begin their day. If we were to zoom into this city with our enhancer, we would see a peculiar neighborhood consisting of 6 houses that were bundled together in groups. The house that was stylized similar to a karate dojo was fixed right beside a house that was decorated with pink and blue and looked sort of like a mushroom. Beside them was a house that looked like a log cabin.

A few blocks down from those houses were 3 more houses: one that looked like an active volcano, another that looked like a beauty salon, and another that looked like a place where happiness and dreams went to die. Who lived in these little houses? Why, the Moshi Monsters, of course! Let's check in on how they're doing.

Katsuma was practicing his karate moves by using his furious kicks to break open a couple of gourds/pumpkins that were painted and decorated by his friends to look like Dr. Strangeglove and his minions. A Moshi had to keep alert for danger at all times, so the gang held everybody accountable. "HIYAH! HAH! HIYAAAAHHHH!" He yelled, wiping the mushy insides of the fruits off of his furry face.

Alerted by the noise, Poppet (who was planting seeds in the hopes of attracting a really rare Moshling to her garden) looked over at Katsuma with a bit of a grin. "Glad to see somebody's up and running this early in the morning! What's going on, Katsuma? You seem a little bit more energetic than usual!" She giggled, turning her body to face him entirely.

Katsuma got his foot out of a gourd and turned around to answer Poppet's question. "Well, Poppet, do you remember that flyer that we saw outside of the Ice Scream shop the other day? The one with Roary Scrawls on it?" He asked, his eyes lighting up with joy as he talked about the advertisement. Immediately, Poppet knew exactly why her friend was so excited. She laughed a little bit before getting up off of the grass and patting the dirt off of her hot pink fur.

"Haha! I should have known. You want to try and apply to be in Roary's new movie, don't you?" She asked knowingly, crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow at Katsuma. Before he could answer, another one of their friends could be heard yawning and walked out of his house with his sleep cap on. It was Furi! He scratched his rear end, opening his mailbox and checking his letters to make sure that he didn't miss anything important.

"Boring... boring. Read that already. I already knew that! Nope. Nothing of value in here. Oh well." He muttered, shoving the mail in his mouth before eating them. "Mm! Spam!" He laughed, patting his stomach before noticing the two monsters that were watching him with a very confused look. "Oh, guh-huh! Hey, Poppet! Hi, Katsuma! Lovely morning, isn't it? You guys wanna head to Ice Scream with me? I could use something extra sweet to get the taste of spam out of my mouth." Furi sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, gently opening the door that connected their fences and closing it behind him.

"Aww, sorry, Furi! We'd love to go with you but... actually..." Katsuma stopped himself, scratching his chin as an idea came into his head. Every good movie star needed a sidekick. Maybe Furi could be that goofy sidekick that he needed! And Roary would be at the Ice Scream shop for the interview, so everything worked out perfectly! He then placed his paws in Furi's gigantic ones, his eyes lighting up in pure joy just as they did before. "Yeah! We'd love to go with you, Furi! What are we waiting for?! Let's go, go, go!" He laughed, running down the road with the giant lug.

"Katsuma! Furi! Wait for me! I have to bring Mr. Snoodle along!" Poppet called out, picking up her little elephant friend and placing him inside of her small, blue purse before racing after her friends. She didn't really appreciate how Katsuma would usually just rush into any situation without giving it a second thought. One of these days, it was bound to get them all into trouble.

Their paws and feet pounding against the sidewalk, they all made their way to Ooh La Lane where the Ice Scream shop was waiting for them. Katsuma kicked open the door with excitement only to find quite the surprise. There Diavlo was, right at the counter of the shop! He was serving ice scream to Luvli and Zommer, who were seated and waiting patiently for their orders. "One Lava Mama and Putrid Punk cone, coming right up!" He cackled, taking a brown cone and scooping up 3 scoops of lava-flavored ice scream. For true taste, it had to be melted and the cone had to be burnt to a crisp, so he tossed it into his volcano-like head and waited for a few minutes before popping it back out. Perfection.

After he did that, he began working on Zommer's cone. With a scoop of Putrid Purple, Dirty Chocolate, Essence of Blue sauce and candy eyeballs, Diavlo handed the cone back to his undead pal in record speed. "Here's your cone, buddy! Don't worry about payment, I'm your best friend. It's on the house. Same for you, toots." He laughed, looking at Luvli, who happily took her Lava Mama and began eating it. "Mm! Delightfully spicy, darling! Thank you!" She chirped.

"Ey, don't mention it... hey, Kat! Poppy! Furball! You three gonna come give your old pal a hug or am I gonna have to go over there and get one myself?" Diavlo asked sassily, giving the three a smirk as he was then tackled by Poppet. "Diavlo! I didn't know you worked here! How long have you been hiding this secret from me, you silly billy?" She asked, looking him in the eyes with a subtle fondness. Sweat began to drip down Diavlo's face as he laughed nervously. "Yeah, heheh... I was gonna tell ya, Poppy, really! I was! I just... forgot to." He answered.

Katsuma smiled at his friend and walked over to the other two who were waiting for him. "Hey, Luvli. Hey, Zommer! What are you two doing here? I thought you said you were going to go clothes shopping." He asked, scratching his head. "Darling, we did go shopping. We already asked the store to drop off our new clothes at our houses so that we could put them on later. We decided to pay our dear Diavlo a visit since we were so close to his shop. I have to say, it was worth it! What are you doing here?" Luvli responded.

"See, that's the thing, Luvli. We were kind of hoping that we'd get to see-" Katsuma started, only to be interrupted by an unknown voice.

"Roary Scrawl?" Somebody piped up. The gang's mouths dropped! They couldn't believe their eyes! There, right in front of them, was Roary Scrawls himself. He was sitting in the booth on the left of Luvli and Zommer, seemingly undetected thanks to his prototype camouflage cloak that he invented.

"Mr. Scrawl! You're here! Have you decided who's going to be in your movie yet?" Katsuma asked, his ears perking up with interest as he was now looking at his idol face to face. The many-eyed monster got up from his booth and began strolling around the band of friends. "Why, yes, Katsuma. I have decided who will be in my movie. Based on how you guys interacted with each other, I've decided that I want you all to be the stars of my movie!" Roary said, a wide smile on his face.

"WHAT?!" The monsters all collectively yelled, looking at each other with a confused look.

To be continued...