"Don’t look at me that way." I said sternly.

"It’s been a long time." I didn’t reply. "You used to be so bubbly. I miss the days when you fussed over a simple dress, Ash." I kept my sights fixed to the ground, but he bent down and caught my gaze with his own. Drawing my attention back to him.

"You are too observant, Will" I said taking a deep breath. We still lived under the same roof, and I supposed the need to watch over me was too ingrained in him.

"In any case, I like to see you smile, sister." He said, pulling himself up to his full hight, then twirling me around. I loved my brother and was lucky he cared as he did.

Once the music stopped, he led me through the other dancers to stand where Eliza was waiting. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever en-counted, even lovelier now that she was finally with child. William would have been lucky to find someone better suited to him.

I was about to tell her how radiant she looked today, when all of a sudden I got a tap on the shoulder. "Walter." I said turning fully around, not surprised to see him. As he was a constant in my life of late. The young man nodded his head. He was seventeen when he came to work for us. I remembered when he turned twenty not too long ago. Judith made him a cake and had me help her. I expected he was wanting to tell me something about our departure, and waited while he cleared his throat.

"May I have the next dance Miss Ashleigh?" He asked. I couldn't help it, but I felt my eyes-brows rise. Which gave him the wrong message right off and he faulted, averting his gaze. I never once thought that he would want to dance with me. I reached out to touch his forearm.

"I would love to, Walter." I said. Trying to make him feel better about approaching me. I didn’t want him to feel badly for asking.

"I just, didn’t know you danced." I said to reassure him further. He hesitantly nodded and stuck out his arm for me to take. If I hadn’t already been dancing I may have turned him away. From what I gathered earlier, there weren’t many unmarried women here. I shouldn’t have been surprised I was approached for a dance by, Walter.

I let him lead me back onto the floor, and when the music began, and I smiled at him. He wasn’t as tall as William, but in the last three years, he had grown into a robust man.

The first time he stepped on my foot it made me lose my balance and I stumbled. He caught me in a strong embrace and I told him it was alright. But the second, third, and forth time really, hurt. He would blush as deep as his auburn hair. Each time, I gently urged him to keep going, despite the fact I knew it would be hard to walk off the floor when the music stopped.

"I am very sorry. I thought I practiced enough." He said quietly.

"Mother made Will and I practice for many years, for hours at a time, and from a very young age, Walter. So don’t be disheartened. You will get better." He wouldn’t look at me. Actually, thinking about it, I had never heard him say so much in his whole time in our employ. It was nice to see him coming out of his shell somewhat. "If you like," I heard myself say. "I can practice with you some time, so at the next wedding I will be able to walk away with my feet intact." He looked back to me, his face was still flushed. I laughed to comfort him somewhat and when he realised I was joking with him, his colour faded some, and I got a smile from him.