The song began, and I told myself it was only dancing, and let Charlie twirl me around. Charlie was a kind, thoughtful person, he always has been, and appeared to be genuinely enjoying himself.

“I don’t think I have had the pleasure of dancing with you, Ash.” I opened my mouth to contradict him, but quickly closed it again. I tried to think of another time we may have had the pleasure. But he was right.

“I don’t think I could tear you away from Payton at your own wedding.” I said. He smiled again and for the first time in a long while I actually felt something deep inside begin to open, like a flower to the morning sun. Something I thought I had lost.

Sometimes I could hardly believe we had all grown up, wishing that I could have stayed a carefree child. As Charlie smiled at me, and led me through the steps, I only saw the boy I used to know, and I found myself laughing. It rolled from the depths of my soul, sprouting out of me, making me light on my feet. It felt so good to laugh when I was so certain that, today, of all days I thought I wouldn’t. He guided me through a few more moves, both genuinely enjoying ourselves. Bringing us slowly to a stop, which confused me, Charlie glanced over my shoulder.

"May I cut in?” Spinning around, I found William standing before me, bowing like the gentleman. “Will you dance with your brother?” While gaining my breath, I waited for the joy to leave me, but it didn’t. I was happy to find Will wanting to take over the dance.

We may not have had the kind of money that drew us invitations to the most sort after affairs. But mother made sure William and I got the lessons we needed to conduct ourselves at such events. It was never in mothers plans to give me a season in London, and that never mattered to me much. But if she had, I would have been ready.

"Why of course sir." I replied curtsying to to my brother with all the airs and graces I could muster. The days of us flouncing about in an empty ballroom were gone, and we laughed at being so silly. I smiled over my shoulder to Charlie, who had already swept up, Eliza. William paused for a moment, and I knew what he was up to, and in the next moment, we were dancing like we used to when mother forced us to practice. With our backs straight, and posture just perfect, William and I rounded past Eliza and Charlie with elegant grace. Dancing this way with William, was just as fun as dancing with Charlie.

"Why have you been hiding?" William asked. With this one question my smile vanished.

"There was a lot to do, Payt can't do it all. Mother was busy, and the others are guests." I said. looking up to my brother, annoyed that he had the ability to turn my mood so easily. He has always had this gift. Purely because he was the best of brothers, and knew me very well.

"I am taking Eliza home within the hour, perhaps even after a few more songs. Would you like to ride with us?" He asked. My first instinct was to say yes. But then I remembered, Payton. I wanted to make sure she was alright before I left. I glanced over at her. She was smiling, and seemed happy enough, but still...

"No, thank you." I replied, turning back around to Will. His green eyes implored mine, I had to look away again.

It took me a little bit to realise, but the joy I indulged in whilst dancing with Charlie, may have come from the fact that I hadn’t seen Nash anywhere. Because I when turned from William, there he was. Coming to stand next to his sister. I frowned and looked to my feet. Was it a good sign that I didn’t automatically look for him like I used to? I couldn’t remember why I wasn’t supposed to have a good time here. That had to be another sign. When I focused on William again. It was only to find him observing me.