Chapter 24 - Rude Question

Start from the beginning

Loki bent over her, smirking down. "Impressive." He let his eyes wander through the room. In the last hour, Katta had managed to win every fight. At least ten men and women stood around, heavily bruised and bleeding. One had even lost a few teeth.

"Almost like a valkyrie." His greenish armour shimmered as the sunrays etched back from the metal. Katta glared up at him. One question was gnawing on her since he brought her here.

"Why am I not under mind control?" she asked, slowly getting up. Her muscles hurt and something seemed wrong with her left shoulder. It was probably strained and healed within the next minutes. Loki came closer until he stood directly in front of her. He raised his hand and wiped over her eyebrow. Katta was tempted to inch away, but she knew better than to move.

"The cut is healed," he uttered, not answering her question. He again wiped over her eyebrow, smearing the blood that had seeped out of the cut, she'd received in her first fight. By now, the wound had closed again.

"I never knew earthlings possessed such kind of sorcery," he muttered, observing her. Katta mirrored his look, annoyed. "Take a picture. It will last longer," she snarled.

First, she thought, Loki would start yelling at her, but he simply grinned. A malicious grin. Katta felt a shiver run down her spine.

"I like that bite," he mused. "You're a warrior. And what a nice specimen to look at. I think I'm going to keep you after I got the stone. Now, get some rest. I need you to prepare for the handover. My friends here will make sure that you feel just like at home." He motioned towards the others in the room, who glared at Katta with an indifferent look. God, this was some creepy shit. Katta could only hope that the others wouldn't get the stone. As soon as Loki decided to put her under his mind control, she no longer could guarantee for her actions.

〰〰〰

Sam flew over the location where F.R.I.D.A.Y had spotted Lokis radiation. It was a small doughnut shop in Queens.

"So where is he?" he asked.

Natasha exited the store and shook her head, giving thumbs down. "I don't see anything suspicious."

They assembled back at the cars. "Shit, do you think he tricked us?" Clint asked, looking around. Bruce shook his head.

"I rather think there was an error in the computer system. From time to time, there can be similar radiations from laboratories that confuse the instruments."

Clint sent Natasha a look, who had her lips pressed together. What a mess. Instead of actually making progress, they had wasted precious time.

"Oh god, Erik will get mad," she exhaled, pushing a strand of her red hair behind her ear.

"What is it between you and him anyway?" Bruce asked, annoyed. Tony raised his hand and acted as if he held up a measuring device, making beeping noises as he came closer to Banner. "Oh-oh, I detect jealousy." He winked.

Bruce quirked an eyebrow but remained silent. Thor shook his head, his shoulders slumped. "My brother is such a - how you call it, Stark - a dirk?"

"Dork," Tony corrected him, nervously glancing at his watch. They weren't even close to the four hours he'd promised to Fenris. Steve sighed, clapping his hands together.

"We head back to the office, seeing if we can get another hint," Steve motioned towards the car, letting his head circle. "Hey Bucky, have you found anything?" he asked into the earpiece, waiting for an answer. But none came. "Buck, answer me. Have you found anything?" he repeated, frowning at Tony, who muttered under his breath.