Chapter 12 - Investigation 101

Katta dodged a punch and threw a high kick that directly went into Barnes's jaw. He retreated a few steps before again raising his fists.

When Katta and Steve had returned from Doctor Strange, Natasha and Clint had been gone to fulfil another mission. Banner regularly had her in his laboratory to check on her condition, and Steve and Barnes spent their time training with her.

He lunged forward and grabbed her throat with his metal arm, pushing her against the wall and raising her slightly, causing her feet to lose track of the ground. Katta clamped around his hand to loosen his grip but couldn't make his hand open.

"You give up?" he asked. Katta felt becoming lightheaded but stayed stubborn. She wouldn't grant him the satisfaction of winning against her - fucking metal arm.

"I asked, whether you give up?" he pressed through his teeth, slightly shaking her.

Katta used all her strength to shake her head before kicking into his guts. He backed away and let go of her throat. She fell to her knees and gasped for air. Still kneeling, she pulled out a knife from behind her back, ready to attack.

"You wanna do it this way?" he asked, pulling out a knife as well, making himself ready to defend. Katta looked at him, prepared to lunge forwards when Agent Coulson entered the training room.

"Sorry to be the party pooper, but I need to borrow Miss Harlovsen," he said, looking between the two. Katta got up and nodded. She proceeded to put it in her holster, but Barnes stepped forward, stretching out his hand.

"Only for training purposes," he stated. Katta reluctantly handed the knife over before unwrapping her knuckles.

"It was a good sparring," he said. Katta looked up at him.

"Sure," she answered. "Even though this is an unfair advantage." She tipped against his metal arm. He flexed his fingers and shrugged.

"I'm sure you can handle it." 

Katta scoffed and walked towards Coulson, who still waited at the door. "Where are we going?" she asked as he let her through the building.

"I'm afraid I'm not authorized to give you that information." Coulson opened a door and motioned her to step in. The bare room only contained a table and two chairs opposite each other.

"That's quite a cliche for an interrogation room, don't you think?" Katta asked but took the chair he pointed at.

Steve entered the room and took the other chair. Katta raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms. "I'm wounded, Rogers. I thought we were partners in investigation."

"Investigation, yes. Partners, no," he answered, opening a folder. Katta's smile faded. He wanted to be the bad cop? Fine.

"I didn't expect you to do the interrogation, Rogers. You seem a bit too warm-hearted to squeeze the truth out of victims," she stated, leaning back onto her chair.

"I'm full of surprises," he said dryly, looking up from the files and presenting her a picture. Katta knew the motive well enough. It had been taken on one of her Hydra missions, one of the few she had done with almost all her siblings.

"Tell me about that picture," he demanded, observing her.

"It was a nice day. Maybe a bit cold, but the soup was good," she answered, bored.

"Harlovsen," he said sharply. "You might want to answer the questions. Otherwise, we'd need to rethink our part of the deal."

"Ah," Katta leaned forwards. "This is how you're playing."