Do Not Disappoint Me

Start from the beginning

Varian distractedly gathered as many supplies as he could carry in his arms and placed them at the shop counter. He couldn't stop thinking over what had just happened in the caravan, and how embarrassed he felt.
When the shopkeeper's voice brought him back to reality, he smiled and took out the pouch of gold Hugo had given him, to pay. Out of them all, Hugo had changed the most; Varian thought. At the start of their journey, he looked out for himself alone and had only joined them out of convenience. Now he felt like a close friend, and he was willing to give up his reward money for the sake of his friends. Varian recalled when the boy had slept with a pouch of gold close. That made him laugh.

Varian left the store smiling, thinking about how far he'd come, and the friends he'd made. Then he thought about what was yet to come. Two more kingdoms, and then he will have completed his journey, and his friends will have completed theirs. They would go back home to their respective kingdoms. The boy's smile had fallen by the time he reached the caravan.
"Varian!" Nuru called, "Want to watch me beat Hugo in a sword fight? Again." She smirked. Hugo didn't retaliate, he watched Varian walk to the camper, "You ok, Stripes?"
"Yeah." Varian smiled again, "I gotta get these supplies inside- maybe later though." He disappeared into the caravan. Nuru and Hugo looked to each other,
"He seems better than he was..?" Hugo shrugged.
"Maybe he's a little shaken after what happened during the trial. I know I am..." She admitted.
"We should do somethin' for him." Hugo suggested and Nuru and Yong smiled.
"I wouldn't expect an idea like that from you." The Princess teased and Hugo rolled his eyes.
"He deserves it. He's been great throughout the trials, and...he's the reason we all met."
"I think it's a great idea- what should we do?" Nuru beamed with excitement.
"You heard of the lantern thing they do in Corona? Maybe we should do something like that- let off some lanterns."
"Yes- like bringing a bit of Corona to him!" Nuru clapped, enjoying this idea.
"I have materials for lanterns in the trunk!" Yong added, cheerfully, wanting to be involved.
"That settles it, then." Hugo smiled.

Varian sat down again to write in his journal, trying to push back any negative thoughts about losing his newly-made friends after the trials were over. There was a knock on the camper door and Nuru, Hugo, and Yong all popped their heads inside.
"Hey, Varian." Nuru spoke first.
"Uh, hi..." He responded, "Look, guys...I'm sorry if I've been a little weird. I guess it's one of those days." He laughed, "Would it be alright if you left me alone a while?" He asked as politely as he could.
"Of course." Nuru smiled, "We came to get something from the trunk, but then we'll be out of your hair."
Varian smiled and Yong moved over to the trunk, rummaging for something. Once he found it, they left and the camper door shut softly, leaving Varian alone inside.

"I hope this makes him feel better." Yong frowned.
"I'm sure it will." Nuru patted Yong's shoulder.
"We should set up a camp out here," Hugo looked to the setting sun, "I'll get some firewood, you two get started on those lanterns." Hugo backed away with a grin, then turned to walk off into the woods.
While kneeling down to gather fire wood, the boy had the sense he was being watched. He stood up and placed the pile of wood down, "That you, Cyrus?" He called into the trees. Sure enough, Cyrus walked from behind one.
"Stop sneaking around, would ya?" Hugo joked.
"Boss wants to talk t'you." The man told Hugo.
"Nice t'see you too- actually, you know, it isn't. Since last time I saw you, you almost killed me." Hugo shot the man a look.
"Donella wants to talk to you."
"Can't. Busy." He responded, adding more wood to the pile.
"She's getting impatient with you. She wants t'see you now. Wouldn't wanna disappoint her-"
"I'm getting the totems, aren't I?" Hugo asked, frustrated, "Tell her to cool off." He scoffed.
"You're not gettin' cold feet?" Cyrus grinned.
"Wha- ugh, fine! Where is she? And this better be quick."

Cyrus led Hugo through the woods, to a tent and then the man stood aside to let Hugo inside. Donella was reading something, and looked up with her piercing eyes to see the boy. He tried to stay brave but the look on her face made him tense up.
"Hugo." The woman stood, and walked over to the boy. When she looked down on him, he felt smaller than ever. This only intimidated him further, and he battled to keep eye contact,
"Any idea why you're here?"
"Tell me." He responded.
"It would appear you've become too comfortable with these people. Remember where your loyalties lie." She said, harshly.
"I want out." Hugo replied, plainly.
"What?" Donella stared, searching the boy's eyes.
"The mission. I can't do it anymore."
"Would you like to enlighten me as to why?" She snapped, coldly.
"Things've changed. And, I can't steal the totems for you."
Donella continued to stare and then she laughed in a way which made Hugo shiver.
"You can, and you will. I could have left you in the back alley I found you, but I didn't. I took you in; I cared for you." She whispered cruelly and Hugo clenched his jaw tight.
"I've given you this job for a reason. Do not disappoint me."
Those final words rung in his ears.
"Don't you think my...skill set is better suited to solo work?"
"You're suited to whatever I say you are." Donella said, more softly, moving towards the boy. To his utter surprise, she brushed his cheek with the back of her hand; something she had never done before. The touch was cold and made the boy flinch, but he didn't quite know how to respond,
"What'll happen when I steal the totems for you?" He asked, in almost a whisper, "Where's Ulla?"
Hugo's tone contrasted Donella's harsh one. The woman looked away from the boy.
"Is she alive? If you want me to continue this mission for you, I want answers." Hugo desperately tried to meet her gaze again.
"Ulla is trapped in the Eternal Library. And she will stay that way unless you let the boy free her." Donella replied.
"Would that be so bad? He just wants to meet his mom, Donnie." Hugo caught himself using a nickname for the woman he hadn't in years; at least not to her face. Donella's eyes widened and she looked to the boy with cold eyes,
"I will not allow that to happen! Complete this mission or else you are expendable to me!" Donella yelled and Hugo went quiet. He stared at the woman, his eyes aching.
"Don't think for a second that I've forgotten what you were before I took you in." Her eyes were as void of compassion as ever, "You will complete the mission I assigned to you."
"Yes ma'am." Hugo murmured.
He was understandably upset by the conversation, but nonetheless made his way back to the camp, a smile on his face.
"How goes the lantern-making?" He grinned, a group of lanterns sitting beside Nuru and Yong.
"Well." The Princess laughed, softly.
"This is gonna be so awesome!" Yong added.
Hugo set down the wood and lit a small fire, which eventually grew to light the dark of the on-approaching night.