Unfinished Business (WhitRiah)

Start from the beginning

Mariah has had enough. She storms over to the pair.

"Hi, I didn't want to be rude. Good to see you, Janet," Mariah says, putting on a smile.

"You too," Janet replies.

"I guess I'm invisible," Whitney tells Janet, who giggles.

"No. I can see you clear as day, groping poor Janet."

"Groping?! Janet, do you hear this?" Whitney taps her so she can get off her lap. She sizes Mariah up in the process before literally and figuratively standing up to her. "Why are you worried about what I'm doing? All in my business."

"Maybe she's jealous," a voice says.

They all look over or turn around to see Ellen, who's seemingly entertained along with others.

"What?" Mariah addresses Ellen, raising an eyebrow.

Whitney laughs. "Even your date knows what it is."

Mariah doesn't bother to acknowledge Whitney. She's focused on Ellen now, awaiting an explanation.

"This is the most attention you paid me all night. Everything was about...who is she, your ex or something? Gotta be."

"The name is Whitney."

"Ellen, are you drunk?" Mariah says, ignoring Whitney. "I knew we needed to go."

"Maybe I need to go or you do...I've been feeling this weird energy all night. Toni, no offense, the party is great. I just expected more from you." Ellen sympathetically regards Mariah. "You two are giving me love-triangle energy."

"I feel that," Janet says.

"You probably just used me for another standup routine." Mariah scoffs and walks out.

"Um, what is going on here?" Toni asks, coming into the room.

"Toni, girl, you missed it," Whitney replies. "Right, Jan?"

Janet nods but seems distant.

"Do you wanna after her or should I? I have a feeling she may try to slap me," Ellen tells Whitney.

"Who may try to slap you?" Toni repeats, alarmed.

"Mariah," everyone choruses.

When Whitney realizes Janet is curving her, she decides to leave the party. She hugs Toni.

"Thank you for my gift," Toni says, squeezing her.

"My pleasure, beautiful."

"Girl, you are something else," Whitney tells Ellen, who laughs.

"But really, y'all two have unfinished business. Go finish it."

When Whitney goes outside, she notices Mariah is in her car. She thought she would've left, but she's glad she didn't just yet. As she gets closer to the vehicle, she can see Mariah's in tears.

Whitney breathes in and taps on the passenger's side window. Mariah wipes her face. She rolls down the window.

"Are you okay?" Whitney asks, feeling bad that she's crying.

"Yeah, I will be. Believe me. I will make a song out of this."

Whitney smiles some. "I know you will." She eyes the pavement before meeting Mariah's face again. "That was crazy back there, huh?"

"She was funny til she wasn't."

Whitney chews her bottom lip, trying not to laugh.

"Go on, you can laugh," Mariah remarks. "If it hadn't been me, I'd probably be amused too."

"Aw, Mariah. Did it bother you that bad?"

"Well, it wasn't just that..." Mariah pauses. "Girl, get in. Might as well." She reaches for the handle and opens the door for Whitney to get in.

"Uh-huh, you were saying..."

Mariah gazes at Whitney. "She's right. I was jealous. Seeing you and Janet all up on each other."

"Well, how do you think I felt seeing you and Ellen?"

"She was great—well, I'm debating that now. But she was never you."

"Oh, really?"

"Now I'm never gonna hear the end of it..." Mariah shakes her head and chuckles. She looks down at her lap and plays with the butterfly ring on her finger.

"You know this is your fault, right?"

"How?" Mariah's eyes snap back onto her.

"You ended it, duh!"

"Revisionist history—we both did! We agreed that it wasn't working out. You're too busy, I'm too busy. Don't you dare try to pin this on me."

Whitney sighs and faces forward. "I might have gone along with it, but I was heartbroken."

Mariah suddenly starts the car and drives off. Then she hits the breaks abruptly. "Sorry!" she squeaks. "Did you bring your car?"

Whitney calms down. "No. Lucky for you, you're my ride."

"Okay, good. Let's go!" She has to ask Whitney what's wrong after a few minutes into driving.

"I said I was heartbroken, did you not hear me?"

Mariah pulls up and puts the car in park. She's smiling to herself now. Whitney remains offended. But she's in for a surprise when Mariah climbs over so she's straddling her.

"Yes, I heard you perfectly, my dear. I was heartbroken too. I promise." She caresses her tender cheek. "Like I said. She was never you. Nobody is."

"You're too close."

Mariah laughs.

"I'm not laughing. I don't want you all on me after you've been all on her," Whitney makes it clear.

Mariah laughs. "Fine." She starts wiping her lips. "Is that better?"

"Ew, no, you made it worse."

"Well, that's too bad." She kisses her neck. Whitney sulks. But it's a front, until she pushes Mariah off her.

"Alright, damn." Mariah climbs back in her seat and drives off.

They know they have unfinished business.