m i s e r y

s h a t t e r e d  h e a r t s

c h a p t e r  3

My eyes open to be met with the darkness of the library. It takes me a couple of seconds to realize where I am, but it is the pain that takes the quickest to catch up with me. Like the fastest animal alive is running towards me with speed so great that nothing can ever match it. It is set out to kill, and I am the target that it has its eyes on. I move like a snail and know that there is no way out of there. Once it catches up to me, I am dead and the pain is so intense that I wish for death to take me right away to be done within it.

Every part of my body is in pain and aching for being in the same position for a long period of time, I don't even know for how long I have been sitting here. I had not even realized that I fell asleep until now that I've just woken up. I let out a whimper as I move my body out of the position that I am in. Moving so softly and with small movement, the pain still continue to pound at me. As if it had not eaten enough out of me, wanting only more and more.

I use the sofa that I was on to support my weight because my legs feel like they have been turned into liquid and simply do not want to stay standing at all. Even when my body goes through pain, I still feel like I have rested enough. I wonder if I have slept through a couple of hours or if the pain woke me up only minutes after that I fell. The library itself has no clocks that are on any walls or anything, it used to but not anymore.

People said that they bothered them far too much, and they could not concentrate, so they were all removed, then people started to come less and less in here, to the point where people barely even use the library at all. I put the book, with some struggle, back to the place where it belongs and then head to the only place that has a widow in this room. Using everything that I can get my hands on to hold myself up and continue walking. I'm much slower than I was when I had walked to the library.

Is my body shutting down already? I thought that I had more time than this. Everything inside me speaks to me in different signs, I don't know what any of them mean. I can only guess that one part tells me to give up, while another says to fight, while yet another one tells me to move on. It has become impossible to know which one to listen to or if I should listen at all, and I barely even know what any of them are telling me or if I understand them correctly.

Outside it is pitch black. It is night. I may not know what time it is out there nor how long it will be until sunrise, yet I don't have to know that now. I walk towards the front door of the library and walk into the hallways. The silence greets me like an old friend. The hallways are lit up nicely with these pretty lights that are shaped like candles. It makes this hallway feel like it once was about a hundred or so years ago when electricity had not yet been invented and people used candles or torches to light up things.

The walls are the only thing that I have to support myself. Wincing and almost exhaust myself from the agony that tears my body piece by piece, I finally make it to the place that I wanted to go. It's a door that leads to the garden, and not just any garden. It's a special one. When I walk out into the bitter cold air into the garden, I truly can sense the magic flow around the air. No Werewolf is able to explain the magic here, all we have are the stories that have been told.

It was in this garden, which at the time was nothing but a wasteland, that the three Fates were born. They appeared out of thin air and came together by a destiny. The three Fates were powerful and their magic is still alive today. While they have not been around for eons, the stories of them creating the Werewolves and guiding their new species towards greatness are still being told. Those stories are nothing but that, stories. Nothing can be proven that it had taken place and if it was on this spot. There is no proof about it. All that is left is this magical air that we can feel.