Dumbledore's Portrait

Start from the beginning

It took him less than a minute to find a seat among his friends at the Slytherin table but the glares continued long after that.

Thankfully he was provided by a distraction in the form of Pansy as she practically jumped and wrapped herself around him.

"Draco! I can't believe you had to spend all day with that filthy mudblood! It's just so terrible!" She cried while clinging to his arm dramatically.

"Yeah." His answer came out absent-mindedly, his attention obviously elsewhere. It was with the greatest subtly that he could muster, looking through the barrier of Pansy's hair as he let her pull him into a hug, that he was able to let his gaze move to the Gryffindor table, where Granger and all of her friends were glaring in his direction.

Once more he was reminded of how much he'd have to do to convince them all that he was a different person now.

"You've already missed McGonagall's speech and she's just gone to get the first years. Slughorn is head of Slytherin and there's some new teacher to take over Defence Against the Dark Arts but he's not here yet." Blaise informed Draco in between Pansy's exclamations and Draco nodded at his friend gratefully. At least some things remained the same.  

The chatter died out as the doors of the Great Hall swung open and McGonagall strode in followed by a gaggle of first-years. They walked up to the front of the hall and formed a line facing the front.

"They just keep getting smaller and wimpier." Goyle laughed out loud, followed by the chuckles of many other Slytherins up and down the table. The glares of the other houses were moved onto them in seconds before they returned to the first years once more.

As she did every year, McGonagall placed a three-legged stool on the floor and drew an old wizard hat from within her robes. As if it had been pre-planned, all eyes in the Hall were immediately turned on Longbottom, Longbottom who had used a sword gifted from the same hat to kill Nagini. Rather than revelling in the attention like the Golden Trio, Longbottom's eyes fell down to the table instead, his cheeks flushing crimson under the admiration in the gazes of his fellows.

Only Draco, who was as uninterested by Longbottom as the rest of the Slytherin table appeared to be, saw as a tear in the hat opened wide revealing a mouth and the hat started to sing:

At Hogwarts I was crafted
Many years ago
And through the ages I have seen
Great wizards come and go

Whether gifted with a clever mind
Courage, wit, or virtues
You must stay wary of your talents
And with which purpose they are used

While we glory in these days of peace
We all still must remember
The sacrifices that were made
For our world to continue to prosper

History can repeat itself
Without continued examination
So while you're learning to use magic
Keep justice as your foundation

The pointless deaths of war will haunt
This hat for all existence
For I have seen too many lives
Be paid because of intolerance

Witch or wizard, muggle or squib
House-elf or centaur
The responsibility lies in all of us
To treat the lot as brother

And as I have said many times
And will say again
I sometimes do regret sorting
Separating those that might have been friends

Whether Gryffindor or Ravenclaw
Slytherin or Hufflepuff
You must stay united for what is right
This I cannot stress enough