𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. jinx

CHAPTER EIGHT
butterfly's repose — part one
" 𝖏𝖎𝖓𝖝. "

     𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐀𝐌 𝐏𝐎𝐌𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐘 after the sudden wave of rage that overcame her in Defense Against the Dark Arts

𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐀𝐌 𝐏𝐎𝐌𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐘 after the sudden wave of rage that overcame her in Defense Against the Dark Arts. She hoped the nurse would provide her with some kind of mood-altering medicine that would put her straight. All she got was a pill and a glass of water.

Selene was very close with Madam Pomfrey. After all, she had been spending more time with her, than any of the other students at the school. The nurse was basically her carer. She was there almost instantly after the sun rose after a transformation, with bandages and a glass of orange juice. To pick Selene back up again, and do what she could with the scars. There just wasn't much Poppy could do for the Ravenclaw when the sickness kicked in, and the full moon loomed.

With her headache somewhat fading, and a free period at her disposal, Selene went to the one place she felt safest ─ The Library. Quiet, peaceful, and it was no doubt no one would approach her if she had her head buried in a book.

The full moon was but a few days away, and nothing could prepare Selene for the pain she would soon experience. Nothing to put her at ease. Nothing to ready her for when the pain kicks in. When the need for ripping at her own skin takes over her. Or for when the new set of reminders that this will never end, brandish and indent into her skin, in the form of malice and ugly scars that she tried to convince herself was just a part of her, and yet she never managed to believe that. She hated the isolation and confinement that made her want to murder anything that crossed her path out of cold blood the most. And yet she tried to defend her and her kind, earlier. Why? She couldn't even work it out herself.

Selene felt as though she should apologise to Professor Otterburn, even if she still thinks he was slightly out of pocket. Then again, he was just following the education syllabus, right? And it was her fault for feeling so personally attacked. He might not know. It was just her sensitivity that brought this on. On the other hand, Otterburn isn't the nicest of guys.

She decided against apologising ─ wanting to forget about the encounter altogether ─ and scurried off to her safe place. And as soon as she strolled in, the Library was just how she liked it: practically empty.