Chapter Thirty-Three: Surprise

Start from the beginning

She must've set this up.

There was no way she could've sat with us.

Blackmail?

Bribing?

"I love the Befuddlement Potion, after the Hate Potion it's my favorite one." she explained softly, trying to act as innocent as possible.

"You don't need a potion to make anyone to hate you." Draco says as his lips turn upward into a wide grin.

Katherine's smile faded as she looked down at the ingredients on the table.

"I've been working on potions a lot. Let me tell you, they come out perfect every time." she exclaimed.

Suddenly, Snape dramatically walked through the door with his long black robe swaying behind him.

"The first potion we will be making today is the Befuddlement Draught. Mess it up and you could be serving yourself one month worth of detention." Snape explained to the class. "Enter all the ingredients into the cauldron and stir. Do not start on the Calming Draught or you will have two weeks worth of detention."

Draco reached for the Lovage before accidentally touching hands with Katherine. They looked each other in the eyes for a while which caught me off guard.

Their eyes sparkled with joy as they looked at each other. My expression softened as I kept my eyes glued to the table.

This wasn't Draco.

It couldn't be.

"I apologize." Katherine said sweetly, batting her eyelashes at Draco. Her eyeliner looked nicer today than it usually did.

Draco pulled his hand away in awe, trying to maintain eye contact. He looked at her the same way he looked at me when he wanted to have sex.

This wasn't right.

"First you put the Lovage in the cauldron." she explained, placing the leaves inside.

"Let me guess, the Scurvy Grass is next?" I ask rudely.

Her eyes rolled back at my remark before she looked at Draco once again. As she looked at him, her cheeks perked up in excitement.

She loved him.

"I really hope you're smarter than your girlfriend, Draco." she complimented him. It was more of an insult to me than a compliment to him, but it's not like he would notice.

She was focused on him.

She didn't care what she did to me as long as the result ended up in the two of them together.

"It's Sneezewort," Draco stated firmly.

Her cheeks flushed red as she leaned back in her chair.

"You are smarter than this pathetic one over here, now hand it to me," she demanded, looking him up and down seductively.

There was only one option left.

Anyone could've gotten that right.

Even Crabbe.

I scoffed as I turned to look at Draco who's eyes were already staring down at me. We exchanged messages with each other, though I didn't know what it was. I wanted him to know how uncomfortable I was around her.

"She's not pathetic, Davis." he defended me. "She's also much smarter than you may think. Moon is one of the highest in the class."

Katherine looked away as she put in the rest of the ingredients in the cauldron, not giving a response to Draco's words. She started mixing it and the solution turned a dark red, almost blood-like.