The Nightmare

Petra was twisting and turning in bed. It was the middle of the night so both Levi and Petra were asleep at that point, but Petra's movements began to wake Levi. He could almost hear her mumbling something. A word, a name maybe? He knew she must have been having a nightmare so he tried to gently wake her. All of a sudden, Petra jolted up out of bed, screaming one word,

"No!", she yelled. Her eyes were wide and she was almost shaking. 

"Petra?", Levi asked. She turned to face him, tears in her eyes. Levi pulled her into his chest and put his head on hers as he brushed the hair out of her face. He could feel her shivering in his arms and he pulled the blanket so it was wrapping them up. 

"Are you alright? What were you dreaming about?", Levi asked her, worry in his tone.

"I'm sorry Levi, I just-", she began to cry more. Levi usually wasn't one to comfort people, but with Petra, it felt almost natural. She was changing him. They sat there entwined together for a few more minutes and he began to feel her breath steady. Petra pulled away and looked at Levi.

"I really am sorry Levi", she said while putting her hand to his face. He put his forehead to hers.

"It's okay Petra", was all he said. This put a smile on Petra's face because the last thing she wanted to do was have to explain the horrible nightmare she just had. She didn't want to ruin the moment they were having. They laid back down in bed, Petra in Levi's arms, and they drifted off to sleep together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Levi was woken up by someone knocking on his door. He quickly woke Petra up and she heard it too. Petra quick hid under the covers as Levi signaled for the person to come in. Of course it was the last person he wanted to see at that moment, his mother. She usually didn't come into his room, but he had a feeling he knew why she was there.

"Ah good morning mother, always a pleasant sight to wake up to", Levi said sarcastically.

"I am not in the mood today Levi Ackerman. I think you know why I am here", she scolded him.

"Let me think, is Uncle Kenny coming to town? I haven't seen him in a while, it would be great to catch up", Levi asked her, already knowing what the answer is. He kept looking over to make sure Petra wasn't noticeable through the covers and thankfully she wasn't.

"Why didn't you propose to Aylin the other night? I thought I specifically told you to. You know how important this is and you don't have time to mess around", his mother said.

"I thought I told you I wasn't ready for that", Levi sighed.

"How many times do we have to have this conversation? I had been talking to Aylin and she told me you guys have only kissed once and that's it? You haven't held her hand or hugged her or done anything romantic with her since then? What is holding you back Levi, it's not like there is anyone else", his mother asked him. Levi slid a hand under the blanket and rested his hand on Petra's head as she said this. It pained him that she had to listen to this.

"Listen, I know you didn't marry father because you loved him, hell, I don't even recall ever seeing you guys be loving towards one another. But unlike you, I would actually like to be in love with the person I am going to marry and I just don't feel anything like that towards Aylin", he told her.

She pointed her finger at him and told him in a low voice, "I never want to hear you say that again. If you do not propose in the next two weeks, I will do it for you and you know I will. Also, since when do you not stand while addressing me? It's not like you sleep naked Levi".

"Well... you'd be surprised", Levi said as his mother walked out of the room and slammed the door. Petra emerged from under the blankets and took a huge breath.