chapter seventeen.

Start from the beginning

The younger male just followed Joe with his eyes around the restaurant as he cleaned away a few stray dishes left behind that the waiters hadn't reached yet. The building was empty since the few employees had their breaks and used the opportunity to escape the kitchen. 

"Kojiro," he called out. 

"Mhm," he mumbled in response while still busying himself around the room. 

"Do you want me to help with anything?"

The response was delayed for a moment, creating an awkward silence between them. 

"Can you check the stoves and oven to make sure they were turned off properly."

Kaia shifted quickly through to the back in attempt to escape the silence the engulfed their encounter. He glanced over all of the appliances and thankfully each one was turned off by the employees. Kaia stepped out the kitchen to notify Joe, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. He whipped his head around to find him when suddenly he felt himself being held from behind.

He relaxed when eyeing the familiar tattoo on the shoulder that held him. "You startled me, Kojiro. All of the appliances were turned off--"

Kaia's breath hitched when a hand moved slowly down the side of his upper body. A chill went down his spine and he visibly shivered, making Joe chuckle lowly to himself. The older male tilted his chin upwards as he forced him to meet his eyes. 

"Can I touch you to prove a point?" Joe whispered to him.

"Go ahead," Kaia answered back curiously.

Joe was able to pin Kaia onto the nearest wall in a swift motion. He figured it was from Joe's constant flirting that he could do it so quickly. Then, Joe slipped his hand under Kaia's shirt and touched along his abdomen until he moved gradually to his shoulder blades. His other hand held his face while his own was dangerously close. So close that his breath fanned over Kaia's features. 

He remained close and continued the smooth motions while Kaia was caught by surprise. Joe's features were contrarily calm as he keep his eyes directly looking at Kaia's widened eyes. The older male tilted his head and pulled his hands back before lightly grabbing Kaia's face with one hand. He squeezed his cheeks together in order to keep Kaia's undivided attention. 

"What would you do if Adam touched you like this?" Joe questioned more harshly then he had planned to convey. 

"I'd stop him," Kaia answered clearly.

Joe stared at him for a moment before breaking out into a small proud grin. "Good. If you ever wish to continue then you always know where I am."

He winked and released Kaia from his grip. Almost as if on cue an employee called Joe into the kitchen to prepare for the customers soon to come later in the evening. 

"Only he would think to get his point across like that," Kaia muttered. 

**

"What?"

"That's was my reaction," Kaia said as Kaoru stared down at the letter in disbelief. 

"And what did you say?" Kaoru asked eagerly.

"Well, I agreed." Kaoru's jaw seemed to drop to the floor. Kaia held the nape of his neck and covered his face in embarrassment from his staring. "What else was I supposed to say?"

"No. I won't. I can't. I disagree because he's a dangerous prick!" Kaoru shouted with multiple alternative responses in frustration but decided to take a breath. 

"But we were practically equal at the race before."

"Kaia, he wasn't being serious. Even I don't know what to expect if he were to seriously go against you."

"I promise I'll be fine."

"But you could have the flashback, Adam could severely injure your body, or maybe even both. It's not worth the risk," he pleaded.

"You said that you trusted me, Kaoru."

"I do, Adam is the one I can't trust. I just don't want you to snap like that again," Kaoru hesitantly admitted and tried to read Kaia's eyes for a reaction.

His eyes went wide in realization that Kaoru either was told or remembered what had happened the night he was injured. Or maybe he even knew about the night in the hospital with Joe. Kaia's breath hitched as he subconsciously rubbed his knuckles. 

"I'm not going to snap again, Kaoru."

"How do you know?"

"I just do."

"How? He could say something to purposely--"

"I'm not."

"Kaia, you have no idea until you are in the moment."

"Just trust me when I say that I won't. I only get like that for certain things."

"Like what?"

"Don't worry, he won't--"

"Like what, Kaia?"

"You," Kaia blurted out from frustration of the constant questions.