That smile that you gave me

Start from the beginning

I shook my head "No, baby—"

"You don't have to keep on calling me that," she cleared her throat. "You didn't have to do any of this but I'm extremely grateful, Rhett," Aurora traced the rim of her cup.

A soft smile curved my lips "You don't have to sleep on the sofa, I'll take it. And you're my friend, Aurora, I'll be there for you if you need me."

"Are we friends? Really?" She softly asked.

My head slightly titled to the right "What do you mean, Aurora?"

"Well, I don't want to sound unkind, but the last time you told me that, you stopped talking to me and it really hurt my feelings because we got so close so quick; we were spending every afternoon and night together, talking and laughing, and it all seemed to be great, but then it wasn't. It left me wondering if I did something wrong, did I?" She asked, looking into my eyes. "Because if so, I want to make it right so we can be—"

"Let me stop you there, Aurora," I interrupted and her face turned pale, seemed to be waiting for something bad. "You did nothing wrong, doll. I was the coward who ran away when things started to quickly change. Everything you did made me feel welcomed and liked and I couldn't go to sleep without thinking about your lips," that's so random but that's how night thoughts are. "I stopped replying because I was scared that if this becomes more than a friendship, I'll hurt you because that's the last thing I wish to do...you're the first person I've fancied in a long time."

A light smile curved her lips "It hurts me more if you just disappear. I'm not scared of what could happen if we become more than friends; I've been through a lot in my life and even if it sinks me to rock bottom, I've always survived."

A sad smile curved my lips "I don't want to be another thing you survive, I don't want to hurt you, Aurora."

"We can't stop living because we are scared, Rhett," she placed her right hand on top of mine. "If we did, nobody would leave their house," she told, making my smile grow because it's true. "I am scared of getting hurt again but I'm not going to let that stop me, I cannot let my pain and fright win because that means the past wins."

A deep sigh left my mouth "Does that mean that you would like to rekindle our relationship?"

"I never wanted to unkindle it," she said, making me chuckle. "But yes, I would like us to continue what we were doing before I left for Aruba."

"Sounds lovely," I took her hand and raised it to my lips to kiss the back of it.

Her cheeks turned a soft shade of red "Tomorrow I'll remember, I promise, I never forget what happens when I'm drunk."

A light chuckle left my mouth "If you don't remember, I'll tell you."

[Aurora Rothschild]

We stayed up until 2:30 am talking. He told me how's everything been in his life the last two months. There wasn't much to tell about my life so I stayed quiet, carefully listening.

Rhett fell asleep on my stomach at 2:30 am but it took me another ten minutes to fall asleep. The anaesthesia was wearing off so I took the painkillers that the doctor gave me. I was fortunate enough to not have sliced something inside with the fucking glass.