Chapter 8

An awkward smile was placed upon the red-haired boy's face as he pondered for a moment before coming up with a reply. 

"Do you have all of the ingredients for fried rice?" Tendou asked, propping his elbow on the table and resting his cheek on his first. 

"Yes! I do," she smiled, turning towards the direction of the fridge. 

As she grabbed everything in which she needed, she placed them on the counter and began preheating her skillet. When that was done, she began chopping up the vegetables and adding every other necessary ingredient. Mixing everything in with her wooden spatula. 

Examining her, Tendou explored the various ideas in which his mind had fabricated. He had desperately tried to understand what was going on throughout (Y/n)'s mind. Her recent reactions were not normal, he knew that for certain, but he could not pinpoint what it was exactly that was causing her to feel this way. Tendou was fully aware of the fact that it would be rude to bluntly ask the girl so he tried his best to set aside the idea and search it up when he got to his own home. 

Redirecting his gaze towards the end of the table, Tendou had forgotten that she had given him her clothing to change into. Although he was rather confused as to why she offered to let him wear it, he shrugged it off and asked (Y/n) for directions to the bathroom. 

Once she replied, he got up and made his way towards one of the smallest rooms in her apartment.

As (Y/n) waited for the rice to finish cooking, she stared at her hands in embarrassment. Just the thought of having anyone stay in her apartment to have dinner made her nervous, so having a boy over made her feel even more anxious. However, she had already known that the only person she could hold accountable for what was going on in the present was herself. She was the one who asked Tendou to stay in the first place. 

With her cheeks already tinted pink, Tendou walked out of the washroom with one hand under the shirt he borrowed from (Y/n), lifting it slightly as he yawned into the palm of his hand. Immediately after (Y/n) viewed the sight, her face became even redder, causing her to quickly avert her gaze back towards the rice. 

Smelling the air around him, he smiled at the (h/c)-haired girl before complimenting her. 

"Smells nice."

"...T-thank you," she said, her voice barely audible. 

"Ha, ha, no problem," Tendou replied with a toothy grin. 

Once the rice was finished cooking, (Y/n) set it on top of a burner that was currently not being used. As she took out the dishes, (Y/n) put all of the rice she had made onto the two plates and served them both equal portions. 

When she placed the two meals on the table, she handed Tendou a spoon before seating herself down. 

"Thank you for the food," they said simultaneously before they began eating. 

As Tendou finished chewing the portion he had in his mouth, he looked up at (Y/n).

"It's really good, (Y/n)-chan!" 

With wide eyes, she looked at him with the same tinted cheeks from before. 

"You really think so? I'm glad," she replied, feeling proud that she could at least satisfy his hunger. 

Continuing to finish their food, (Y/n) balled her free hand, keeping it closely positioned on her thigh as she recounted the recent events of the day. Though it may have seemed as though she was fine to most everyone who had passed her, deep down she was trying to repress her emotions. When she got enough courage to speak up, she cleared her throat and clawed her fingernails into her leg. 

"T-tendou, about earlier... I apologize for my sudden outburst," she spoke, hesitant to expose her thoughts to the boy. 

"Oh, it's no big deal. Sometimes you gotta vent your feelings to others, so I understand completely," he consoled. 

"You really don't understand though-" Tendou cut her off. 

"Hey, it's fine-"  

"No! It's not fine!" she shouted before slapping her free hand on her mouth. "See? This is what I mean! I'm always doing this!" she stated, trying her best to not cry in front of her new friend. 

"No, really, it's fine. Like I said before it's okay to let your feelings out and vent sometimes. From what I can tell you've just been containing all of the emotions that you've accumulated. If I was to guess, it has something to do with your parents, does it not?" he spoke gently, trying his best to not upset her even more than he already had. 

Wiping away any of the tears that have already shed, she nodded, contemplating whether or not she should tell him the entire truth. From what she knew he had deduced, Tendou must have known or felt what she had before, and if he had already figured out this much, coming out with the truth would not do her any harm. 

Inhaling, she took both of her hands and clasped them together. 

"When I was a little girl, my parents and I would often go out on little road trips, it was just a fun little activity the three of us would do to waste time. However, there was one time in which I can never forget. It had happened in early summer. As my parents gently hummed to a soft song on the radio, an intoxicated driver from behind us ended up crashing into our car. This had caused both of my parents to have their head flung back as a result of the airbags... As you may know, there are common instances when people die as a result of an airbag... This had been one of those cases," with tears in her eyes (Y/n) did not bother wiping them. "This is not what bothers me the most though, what does is the fact that even though someone had witnessed the entire ordeal and reported it to the police, the man had only got sentenced to very limited years in prison. It's hard knowing that someone like that is currently walking freely. E-even though I know it was just an accident since the person was under the influence of alcohol, I cannot excuse the fact that he killed the two most important people in my life..." 

Standing up, Tendou lifted (Y/n) off of her chair, gently placing her on the ground, trying to get her in a more comfortable position as he caressed her back in a soothing manner. 

"Tendou... T-that man took my parents away from me," (Y/n) cried, clutching onto the taller male's borrowed shirt. 

As much as Tendou wanted to reassure her that she would be fine and that she would be okay, he knew that would most likely make her feel worse. Although what that man had done was an accident, it was not okay that he was driving and even though he was sent to prison, it was not fine to let him out without leaving (Y/n) a proper apology. 

Even if this outburst had been out of the blue and came from literally nowhere, Tendou remained silent, gently stroking (Y/n)'s back as she wept into the crook of his neck.