Chapter 5: Back in Wuhe Xia Sect

Xia Jiniang has been busy almost all week with the stack of scrolls Jin Guangyao sent. He even had to cut Lan Wangji's visit short. Guangyao had said he wanted his opinion and Jiniang wasn't going to disappoint. The problem was that there was also his own scrolls he has to go over, training with the disciples, elder meetings, etc. The wedding preparations were being handled by both his mother and Lan Qiren, so it should be one less thing on his mind. It wasn't.

"Do you think-"

"No."

"No as in you don't want to answer or that is your answer?"

Xi Geng sighs. He had to take over the disciples training and meetings while Xia Jiniang handled the rest. He didn't mind that much. He liked training with them, meetings... not so much. He has just entered Xia Jiniang's study (where the sect leader has been holed up working since Hanguang Jun left (so two days)) to announce him that the one who occupies his thoughts is actually at the entrance with company.

"No is my answer."

"You don't even know what I was going to say!" Xia Jiniang says offended, but Xi Geng knows he's just playing.

"Oh, I know, believe me." He rolls his eyes and lets himself fall into the seat beside him. He eyes the scrolls warily. He gets a weird feeling of everything Jin Guangjao. No one can smile that much. He doesn't say a word because of Jiniang's friendship with the man but he's still cautious. "I actually came here to tell you about him."

Xia Jiniang immediately turns to look at him properly, dropping the scroll to the side. "Are you jesting?"

"Sect leader Xia Jiniang, your boyfriend is here to see you." He bows in a mock salute.

"He is not my boyfriend." He mutters but shoots to his feet and starts smoothing out the wrinkles. He rearranges his headpiece and pretends not to run as his disciples snicker behind him. He totally runs to see Lan Wangji.

~¤~¤~¤~

"Lan Wangji, back here so soon? Did you miss-" His words cut off there, but his smile never falters. His eyes tear themselves off Lan Wangji to watch the party behind him. He scans them and immediately bows in a greeting. All the Juniors bow immediately in response, saluting.

"Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi! What a surprise. How was the case?"

Then he spots an unfamiliar color among the distinctive white of Gusu Lan.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't see you there. Can I- oh" Xia Jiniang stops immediately, his face loses the usual smile, and looks pensive for a minute. It's the most serious any Lan had seen him, Lan Wangji included.

"Xia Jiniang?" Everyone's eyes that had been looking at the Xia sect leader snap in surprise to Lan Wangji. Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi's eyes are the roundest.

Xia Jiniang smiles softly when looking at Lan Wangji. "Sorry, I got distracted." He looks at Mo Xuanyu once before turning to his first disciple to tell him something. Xi Geng nods and leaves after bowing at Lan Er-Gongzi.

"Why don't we all go inside? The sun is harsh and you must be hungry after such long journey. You can eat and rest here if you want." He is speaking to everyone, but his eyes don't leave Lan Wangji for more than a few seconds just to acknowledge everyone else. Lan Wangji looks behind him and Wei Wuxian is almost sure he looks at him for a second. Lan Wangji turns back to the Xia Sect leader and nods "Mn". Xia Jiniang smiles a tiny bit brighter and leads Lan Wangji to the entrance; Juniors, Wei Wuxian, and donkey trailing behind them. Wei Wuxian looks confused at the Juniors when they start walking slower, making the distance between Lan Wangji and them greater.