Chapter V

You arrived back at the castle just as the party was about to begin. You made your way to the Room of Requirement where people were excitedly awaiting your arrival, mainly for the goods you were bringing. As you walked into the room, you were greeted by the sound of applause and cheering. George made his rounds and you followed him, as he handed out the occasional butterbeer before placing the crate on a nearby ledge. A mob began surrounding you both and George grabbed two brews and pulled you away from the crate before the crowd could attack.

You spotted Cho and Marietta across the way and walked over to them, mentally prepared to be bombarded with questions.

"Well, well, well. Look who's decided to grace us with her presence," Marietta spoke.

"It's about time! We've been dying to know about your new beau," Cho added.

"Not much to tell. We're just friends, at least for now."

"No need to be coy, it's just us. You can give us the details," Cho persuaded.

"Honestly Y/N, people are already speculating."

"Let them speculate, it's none of their business anyway," you smirked, knowing the plan was going perfectly.

"Just promise you'll tell us when things become official. I'd hate to hear about it from someone else," Cho added.

"Of course I will tell the both of you if something happens. For now though, I'm just happy to have an old friend back."

As the conversation continued, you stepped away momentarily to grab another drink. You approached the crate and grabbed a brew when another hand reached for the same bottle.

"Oh, sorry!" you said, pulling your hand back. You turned to see who you were apologizing to, when you spotted a familiar face. "Roger..."

"Hi Y/N. How've you been?" he asked.

"I, uh, I'm-" before you could fully answer, Ms. Fleur Delacour was by Roger's side, practically hanging off his shoulder. She spoke something French to him and it was only then that she noticed you standing there. She gave you a confused look and Roger interjected.

"Fleur, this is my friend Y/N," he introduced. You gave her an awkward smile and a small wave as she responded with, "Bonjour." Seconds later she was whispering with Roger again and you ran through options of how to get out of this situation.

"Y/N, there you are!" you heard George say a few paces behind you. You turned to locate him and were blindsided when you found he was suddenly inches away from you. He gently wrapped an arm around your waist to draw you close to him and he cupped your face with his free hand as he lifted your jaw up to meet his face. He kissed you with such passion and you tried to hide the surprise that had come over you. George slowly released your lips and moved his arm to rest around your shoulder.

"Oh, sorry mate. Didn't see you there," George commented with a smirk. You looked toward Roger and Fleur to see them both surprised as well. Roger made some small comment to excuse them from the scene and you turned to George, unsure of what to say.

"I'm sorry if I took you by surprise. I just saw you were ambushed and I did the first thing I could think of to help."

"Thank you," you whispered.

"You...you're not mad?"

"Mad? No, of course not. I mean, you took me by surprise but I'm not upset about it."

"Good thing, because I think just about everyone knows about us now so we're gonna have to keep this up." You turned to face your peers and found everyone gossiping in their respective cliques, trying to hide their looks in your direction.