Chapter 17

It's been a little over a year since Matthew and I got married. I had gone in for a doctor's appointment yesterday and found out something that shocked me and I was going to tell Matthew today when he got home from work. He had found a job as a waiter at Texas Roadhouse. He wouldn't be home for another hour so I was reading my book.

I was so into my book that I didn't hear the front door open and when I did, it scared me. I got up to go see who it was even though I already knew who it was. "Hey hunny, how was work today?"

"Just the same as always." he said, which I knew meant that it wasn't very exciting.

"Well I have some news for you."

"Do I have to guess or are you going to tell me?"

"You have to guess."

"Can you give me a clue?"

"It has to do with yesterday and that is the only one I'm giving you."

"Wait y-your --" he couldn't even finish his sentence.

"You have to finish your sentence for me to tell you if you're right or not." I said even though I knew what he was talking about.

"I'm going to be a dad?"

"Yep in 9 months you and I are going to be parents. Isn't that exciting or what?"

"That's wonderful news sweetheart. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I wanted to wait until the right time and now just felt like it. I was astonished when I heard the news yesterday and I couldn't bring myself around to tell you yesterday."

"When are we going to find out the gender?"

"Not until next month. It's going to feel like a long time but we can get through it together. I know we can."

"That's okay. I know we can get through it together." he said.

It's been a long journey but in the next few days I'm going to have our first little girl. I haven't been able to help out with the rangers as much the past few months but I've had other duties to do.

When Matthew came home from work today we went to the doctors office to see how the baby and I were keeping up. Steve said that we should expect it any day now.

"So how do you feel about being a dad?" I asked Matthew.

"Nervous but excited at the same time. I'm also worried for you right now."

"Why?"

"Because I know you want to help but I also don't want you to feel like you aren't helping anyone."

"Well I'm glad you are worrying about me. You have been the greatest husband anyone could have ever had and I'm glad you chose me to be that lucky girl."

"Thanks, I'm glad I picked you." he said as we walked into our house. "You need to rest, you look tired. Don't worry about dinner tonight. I'll have it ready by the time you get up."

"I'm just going to lay down on the couch so I don't have to go up and down the stairs." I said and went to go lay down on the couch.

When dinner was ready, Matthew came and woke me up. We ate then watched a movie like we used to when we were dating except for this time was a little bit different. We were snuggling when I felt my baby move. "Hunny give me your hand." I said and took his hand and put it on my stomach.

"She's moving. That's good." he said when he felt her move.

"Ya that is good. Let's just hope she doesn't come tonight. I should probably get to bed."