20. Shades of our eyes

Start from the beginning

"Look Inosuke, she resumed, I hate to say that but we need some help. The soon-to-be prince of our region, if he bothers standing up, is having an existential crisis one hour before the wedding. We need you to... shake him up.

- Like a rattle?

- No! Not literally! Hum, let me find a more proper word to describe that. Ah! We need you to boost his confidence and make him wear this dandelion tuxedo.

- But I'm just going to make that magnificent tuxedo look ugly! declared Zenitsu, pulling on his hair in between his sobs.

- Huhhh? groaned Inosuke. Give me that tuxedo Aoi!"

Aoi obliged, handing hesitantly the said clothing to the boar, who snatched it promptly with a firm grasp. He then directed himself towards the blond, kneeling next to him before asking:

"Why the hell are you crying Monitsu?

- I'm-, I don't want to humiliate the Kamado family by messing the wedding up, Inosuke... he uttered in between his sobs. I always make everything turn to a catastrophe a-a-and-

- Stop the cap, declared Inosuke. YOU have managed to win against Inosuke Hashibira the Great and Mighty. Don't think that I'll let you be sad and not fit for your wedding! I still have to fight against you someday, to prove that your win was out of pure luck! How can I do it if you're all sad and depressed?

- Inosuke, whispered the blond, it's not the matter here...

- Well it is! Today is going to be your day to become a family with Kamaboko Gonpachiro. Would you be happy if you let it slip?

- N-no, b-but if I mess it up-

- Then you'll mess it up, declared Inosuke in an unusually soft tone. But until then, you can't let your fear resurface and dictate your future for yourself. So, no, you better wear that Tuxedo, or I'm about to fight you here and now!

- That's more like you." chuckled Zenitsu, wiping his tears away.

He stood up before taking hold of the tuxedo, his gaze lingering on it. So that was it, huh? That's what he was going to wear for his union with the man he loved the most on the planet? He smiled dumbly.

He surely had gone through a lot ever since his discussion with Gramps! Who would have imagined it would finish like this? Certainly not him. But here he was, putting the tuxedo on and looking at his reflection in the mirror, the three others standing next to him.

"You look absolutely amazing! perked up Kanao. Those white pants, together with this dandelion tuxedo, fit you right.

- Th-thanks, shyly answered Zenitsu.

- Why do you have orbs attached to your ears? inquired Inosuke, slightly startled.

- He had the same back at the first ball and the ones after, sighed Aoi. How do you not remember?

- He doesn't remember my name, what did you expect? chortled lightly the blond.

- But why do you wear those again? asked Inosuke, ignoring the previous remark.

- Because... they are important to me." the blond smiled, thinking about the first ball where Tanjiro and he had exchanged their first kiss.

He held onto that memory for dear life. It was the beginning of many more, and this marriage was the symbol of it. A life together, ruling together, laughing together, loving each other.

"So why did you come here, Inosuke? wondered Kanao, bringing Zenitsu out of his daze.

- Argh, I can't remember! he growled. Think Inosuke... You were running after that lady guard to fight her, then you tried to eat the wedding cake...