As we left the room, my mother smiled at me. Her hair is red and pinned up into the most elegant bun. She's wearing a red gown that matches her hair, with thin lace over silky red fabric. Her white collar makes her look truly royal, in addition to her tall, silver crown with purple and green gems. She tells me they are the birthstones of Prince Maxon and herself.

        As a child, the love story of America and Maxon was so beautiful, I wanted a romance similar to it. However, nothing I did for love could ever be as wonderful as their story.

        When I was six, I had a crush on the cook's son, Henry. He was a blond boy who boasted that he was best at everything. Nowadays, he seems cocky and immature. I feel like I had no taste in men to ever find someone.

        Next came the Italian Prince Aldo, with his sunkissed skin and black curly hair. After two months of pinning over him, I realized that I had only seen his looks, not beyond into his dorky, dumb character and 2.1 GPA.

        Now, I was determined not to be a shallow princess looking for a handsome know-it-all prince. I wanted a knight in shining armor, not some pretty face.

        "Are you nervous for your Selection, honey?" asked Queen America. 

        "Of course! This is the greatest decision of my life! Why, I understand why Ahren wouldn't want this. There is too much pressure!" I complained.

        "No, you are overreacting! The Selection is a chance of a lifetime! Maxon enjoyed his, and you will get to enjoy your's," she kissed me on the forehead and stepped into Ahren's room. "Get ready for dinner!"

        I waved and walked silently down the hall to my room. My walls were light purple. My bed was soft silk, smooth purple on the outside and white, plushy, on the inside. Perched on my magenta pillows were 5 teddy bears: a ballerina, a princess, a Cupid, a tuxedoed bear, and a plain, classic teddy bear. I loved purple. It was by far my favorite color. Not the bright, partying purple, but the soft, light purple of a sunset.

        I pressed a button and my three maids shuffled in. First Angie, second Reyna, and third Caitlyn. Angie was my head maid. Reyna was responsible for makeup and beauty care. Caitlyn took care of my clothes and jewelry.

        "Miss, we prepared a splendid gown for tonight!" Caitlyn looked excited. She carefully pulled out a dress holder from behind her back and slid out the most gorgeous gown.

        It was soft and ruffled. Sparkling sliver, like the stars in the night sky. Along with it came a silver necklace and matching strappy heels - only two inch heels since I could barely walk in them like my mother - and dazzling star earrings.

        "My goodness, you three have outdone yourselves!" I gushed. "This is beautiful!"

        Angie prepared the makeup and took off my feathery white day dress. I felt majestic in the silver gown with matching silver gloves. Reyna got the makeup kit ready and Caitlyn carefully set my favorite tiara upon my hair. My hair: dark brown, like my father's and pulled into a low bun, bangs curling around my ears.

        Reyna dusted silver onto my eyelids and made my brown eyes look big and wide with long lashes. After a quick layer of lip gloss, I was ready for dinner.

        I stepped into the dining room. As usual, my grandmother and Aunt May, Aunt Kenna, and Uncle Gerad were already with the table. They lived in a beautiful house nearby, but often came to the castle to visit.

        "My Eadlyn!" Aunt May shreiked and hugged me tight. She wore an orange off the shoulder dress that only reached her knees. "Haven't seen you since yesterday!" she told me jokingly.

        I greeted her and the rest of my family. My family was always very enthusiastic, especially Aunt May. We joked and laughed before finally resting onto the marble tables to eat.

        I loved food, but not half as much as Queen America. She wolfed down buttered, crunchy bread along with smoked almon in pink strips. King Maxon chuckled as he formally chewed and swallowed his portion of turkey.

        "Are you ready for the Selection?" Aunt May asked me, grinning. "I heard there's a hoard of nice men, including -"

        "May!" my mother scolded, finally looking up from her plate. She tried to keep a straight face but couldn't help smiling. "You musn't tell!"

        "Of course!" my aunt winked at me and mouthed, I'll tell you later.

        We continued through dinner with the usual chatter and jokes. It was a while until the topic of my Selection came up again.

        "Eadlyn, it must be a pride to be the first woman to hold her own Selection," Aunt Kenna said with a warm smile. 

        "I don't want to have a Selection."

        As soon as the words came out, I couldn't take them back. Everyone was staring at me with gaping expressions.

        "Eadlyn!" Queen America said sternly. "You cannot talk that way!"

        "Sorry, " I mumbled. "I-I'll go."

        I raced up into my room, crying, not bothering to ask for my maids. After what seemed like hours, I heard a knock on my door.

        "Princess Eadlyn?" a soft voice spoke. "Let me in. It's your father."

        I opened the door and inch wide and looked at him. Finally, I let him in.

        "I understand that the Selection is tough," he told me. "I didn't think I could find someone as perfect as my mother." King Maxon's eyes looked sad. "But you have to look poised for the country. We've been over this."

        "Luckily," my father took a deep sigh. "That was a private little fight and I hope you won't react like that again."

        "I'm sorry I wasn't acting like a princess," I bit my lip. "I'll make you proud."

        He smiled. "You already have." He kissed me on the forehead and left me in the room feeling much more confident towards what was going to happen in my Selection.