Chapter 1

"Right this way, Your Highness!"

        I nervously followed my maid, Angie, to my brother Ahren's room. Born seven minutes apart, I, the older twin, was the one to have her own selection. I asked Ahren numerous times if he would take the honor instead, but he seemed about as nervous as me in the subject of choosing a soul mate from random subjects in Illea. 

        Ahren's room was the messiest room in the castle. Clothes and books were scattered everywhere, homework and papers in a tall pile beside his bed stand. My twin loved reading. He earned straight A's and took classes to push himself into the area of science. I, however, was a quite allergic to school. 

        "Hey, sis," Ahren looked up from his book about atoms and adjusted his glasses. "Having fun?"

        I mock punched him in the stomach. "Don't "having fun" me. You know I'm very nervous about this ritual."

        "But its an honor! I wouldn't do it - I'm not cut out to be the King! My dear sister, you have been trained to be a loving, caring, perfect queen. I, however, simply hold a royal position." Ahren scoffed. He set his glasses onto his bed stand.

        "I'm not nervous about that part. I can be the most charitable, kind, generous - "

        Ahren interrupted me with a laugh. "None of those words describe you."

        "They do in public. Now move it and clean this room," I rolled my eyes. "It's making my OCD act up."

        Ahren threw a buttoned shirt at me and I ducked, trying not to laugh. I threw it back and left the room, giggling.

        "Everything all right there, Princess Eadlyn?" asked Angie, curtsying. 

        "Just perfect," I smiled. "Where are my parents?"

        "In their office. With your little brothers, of course." Angie bowed again. "Would you like me to lead you there?"

        "No thank you, Angie. You can return to your room. I'll take it from here." I gave my maid a small nodd and walked down the hall.

        "Mother? Father?" I peeked in a door and heard giggling. 

        "He's better looking for Eadlyn!" said the voice of Kaden, one of my little brothers.

        "No, I like this one better!" screamed Osten.

        "Shhh!" my mother, Queen America of Illea, laughed and I heard the shuffling of papers. Finally, she replied, "Come in."

        I opened the door to my parents' study and smiled. The room had oval windows and soft, light blue, walls. In the corner, my father, King Maxon, smiled at me.

        "Did my little girl think she could eavesdrop on us to see who were going to be selected?" he asked with a goofy grin. "It's alright; I did that during my selection. Unfortunately, my mother caught me." He let out a laugh. "You won't be seeing your choice of men, that's for sure."

        "Aww," I said with mock sadness, faking a pouting bottom lip.

        My mother glanced at the clock. "My goodness, its almost time for dinner! Get ready! I'm sure the maids have something wonderful for you. I'll go tell Ahren," Queen America looked at my father. "Get Kaden and Osten ready for supper. There's good food tonight!" 

        "Of course, my dear!" King Maxon said, grinning. 

        "Don't even start!" My mother laughed and kissed him goodbye.