Chapter 18: the notes (finale)

Start from the beginning

"There was a story for every single night." Wilbur turned to look at George, "That was how many he had."

"I'm sure he loved telling those stories as much as you loved hearing them, Wil." George comforted.

"I did love hearing them. I loved every single one of them." Wilbur's fingers were being more fidgety than usual, "But there was one in particular that he'd have so much to talk about."

George was genuinely interested, "And what story was that?"

"The story of a boy he used to speak to on the phone."

George felt his heartbeat stop for a second. Dream told his kids about him? More importantly, Wilbur knew about the calls this whole time?

Wilbur didn't wait for a response, he just continued, "The way he'd tell the story. It felt so real, I just knew he wasn't lying to me. He never did."

"T-then what?"

"Then I grew up of course. I stopped believing in Santa, then the Tooth Fairy, then eventually all of Dad's stories." Wilbur looked down at his hands, playing with his rings. He glanced at the clock, then hurried his speech, "I met a woman, got married, had a kid, and he knew that. He knew I wasn't his little boy that was in awe of everything he did anymore."

George moved closer, every ounce of his body waiting to hear what Wilbur had to say next.

"Then five years ago he came here." Wilbur was gesturing with his hands, "And he told me, 'Wilby, do you remember that story I used to tell you?' And I said of course I did. Then he told me that's why he came. I was confused, why would he visit me just to ask if I remembered one of his fictional stories."

Wilbur sat in silence for a bit, constantly sniffling and blowing into a tissue.

"He told me he was telling the truth. The story was true." Wilbur started messing with his sleeve, "I thought he'd gone crazy. I was about to kick him out of the house but he wouldn't budge, he's so persistent."

George knew that. Oh did he know.

Wilbur patted his jacket pockets, and took out his old, worn out leather notebook. "He threw this at me before I closed the door on him." He showed it to George, "He said it was proof he was telling the truth."

He opened a page and showed it to George, it had a series of dates with little notes on the side.

July 31, 2020: George unburies the Time Capsule
August 5-13: George repaints the exterior of his house dark gray. I chose that color.
August 27, 2020: George unburies another Time Capsule
August 28. 2020: George plants the flowers. I know him well enough to know he'll struggle.

George now knew the true reason Wilbur kept this so notebook so close to him, and why he often wrote in it when he was with George.

Wilbur took the notebook back, "This one's my favourite one." He showed George.

September 2, 2020: I forgot to call George today. Whoever this goes to, please keep him company.

George remembered, "Is that why you came to my house randomly with the Apple Cider?"

Wilbur smiled, "Yes." He confirmed, "I wasn't initially going to fact check these dates, but I felt bad for him. So, I went on the day you unburied the time capsule, and there you were. I went more and more and saw that each date and event he wrote down had come true. He was telling the truth."

George felt his heart warm. Even though Dream never had visited him before, he was always there for him this whole time without him noticing. In little ways, but in ways nonetheless.