Heartless

I walked down this long empty hallway, for what seemed like ages. The silence had trouble spilled all over it. Linoleum that seemed paved out of thick rubber was wearing away like the dimming light that came from his lantern. Each time he turned the darkness would fill me with envy. Why couldn't I just slip into the shadows and disappear? Would anyone miss me? I'm sure no one actually would. So much for wishful thinking.

    He was a tall blond man that I followed through this maze like mansion. His eyes were coarse and seemed like they too have lost the sparkle and richness of life. He bunched up his long wavy locks into a small pony that hung down his back. Seeming to only make this man more of a wonder to me. His scent that lingered smelled like burned firewood.

    Perhaps he had just been sitting by a tiny warm cozy fireplace. Curled up on an enriched sofa with a book about some kind of mystery. His face was ghostly pale, what hid behind those glasses of his that were thick and nearly see through. He must have been as blind as a ten century old bat. Not that, they actually live that long. Strange disappearances have been happening all over the once bustling town. People stopped coming out, children were prohibited from going outside.

    I hung my head in shame as he looked back at me. Faking a smile he knocked on a door nice and loud. For being a mansion, everything seemed dead, rotting away from existence. The foul stench of rotted wood, seeped through my nostrils and I couldn't help but slightly gag as we entered the partially lit room.

Setting the lantern on the bed side table he grunted making an annoyed tone saying,"This is where you will be staying tonight, the master will not be awoken under any circumstances these are his sleeping hours."

I nodded my head in agreement as my stomach growled for food. I hadn't eaten in what seemed like days. No matter how much food I ate my  hunger would not cease.

Who was this master he spoke of?

Why am I here?

Where is my family?

    A million questions were racking my brain driving me nearly insane. I knew I needed rest, but I have never been one capable with sleeping on an empty stomach. His footsteps slowly became indistinct into this far off corridor. My eyes felt weak, like I had been starving while running on empty. I had a passionate hunger, that no natural food could possibly quench.

    This unnatural feeling kept me at an apprehensive mood. As I walked to the bed my large black shoes clacked against the linoleum floor. The floor board creaked each time I took a step. Sitting on the bed and unlacing my shoes I looked around the room, filled with cobwebs and renaissance furniture. Everything was old, worn down and filled with dust.

   Looking from the corner of my eye I saw a beautiful portrait of a fair maiden dressed in a white gown. Her eyes a crystal blue. Perhaps, the only thing that seemed to be sprightly. Her curly locks fell down to her heart. Her long lashes were curved in the most immaculate way. She looked like an angel. Perhaps virgin Mary; but I've been told she has brunette hair. The young woman's stature was impeccable. 

   I looked to my left and saw her holding a gold shining locket that would have shown a deep gold in the moonlight. This locket must have meant something to her. But, what? Could it have held her lovers now deceased face in it?

A man to have swooned a lady like her must have been a god. Her nails were long and painted a beautiful white just like her gown. She held that locket tightly, like never in a million years would she let go of it. Not even death would make her part with it. I'm sure since this mansion was so old she may be dead by now. I'm only a teenager seeing a painting of a beautiful women could set my hormones off in an instant.