"They are impressive," agreed the clerk.

"What do you think, young lady?" said Jerrus, noticing her by the side of the cart.

"What is it?" Tahlia asked, looking critically up at the thing that he held in his hand.

"Kolto shell. From the eastern isles."

"Never heard of it."

"That's as may be, but I bet you have tasted it. Wonderful to taste it is; grated into cheese pie is my favourite."

He put the thing back in its jar and opened up another.

"Socro pods!" he exclaimed.

He took out a long evilly misshapen object, with hard folded up black skin. It was the length of his hand, and when he shook it, it gave a dry whispering rattle.

Jerrus lifted the thing to his nose and gave it a cautious sniff.

"Ah, that takes me back. Here."

He stepped down from the back of the cart and held the thing out to Tahlia.

"Have a sniff, but mind yourself. Too much up your nose and you'll sneeze your ears off."

Tahlia sniffed the thing carefully, making sure she did not get too close. The smell from it was sweet and musky, and despite her care, she could feel it tickling at the back of her nose.

"Hah, told you it was strong stuff didn't I, and not without its good uses. Saved my life once did a jar of socro pods"

"Really?" said Tahlia dubiously.

"I don't think she believes me, Murel!" said Jerrus, addressing the clerk with the ledger.

"Surely not, chief,"

"I've told you and the boys about the jar of socro pods and the gulljamlet, haven't I?"

"You certainly have, chief."

"And you believe the tale don't you, Murel?"

"It is a very believable tale."

Jerrus held up the socro pod and studied it closely, rattling it once more beside his ear and smiling with satisfaction.

"Well?" asked Tahlia.

"Well what, young lady?"

"Are you going to tell me about the socro pods and the gulljamlet?"

"Well, if you insist," said Jerrus, taking Tahlia by the shoulder and guiding her to some empty travelling crates. "Carry on, Murel."

The clerk, with a knowing smile, climbed onto the cart beside the driver and opened up his hand-ledger.

Jerrus settled himself on a crate, which creaked and settled under his weight. He picked up a black glass bottle from the crate beside him, uncorked it, and took a long swallow of whatever was inside.

"When I was working the trade caravans," he said. "Bringing cargos of spice and red grain from the deserts of Kla, and the safety of the good Merchant Brosier and all his goods were in my hands..."

"What!" said Tahlia.

"Oh, yes," said Jerrus, patting his huge belly. "I was not always as you see me. I was once Trade Proctor to the richest merchant in the southlands, and he was rich because he had once dared to cross the deserts of Kla; the only place that the socro pods grow. Merchant Brosier was the man responsible for opening trade to those impassable lands, and he is also the reason that the cooks all the way here in the north can make such exquisite spiral bread.