Chapter 1: Incomplete

Start from the beginning

Ian's POV

Did she really just leave the room?
I stood there not knowing what to say with all the lights on me. I heard someone coughing and stared directly into one of the 30 cameras in the room. By now everyone started to whisper and I felt my hands getting wet.
I looked over to Paul but he was already standing and about to leave. The look on his face told me that he was sorry, then he was gone and I was alone.
Just talk about your foundation, Ian, tell them a short story and give them a smile.
So I finally came up with a story about a cute puppy and tried to get down the stage as soon as possible. Everyone clapped forgetting about my blackout. I made my way to my table to grab my jacket when Paul laid his hand on my shoulder.
"Sorry, bud, I just had to check on her. You know that Nina already left."
"That's okay," I sighed, "I was great anyway."
I smirked and Paul just gave me a worried look.
"Listen I have to leave as well now. You wanna share a cab?" he asked to find out whether I was okay or not.
"You know, I'll just stay. After watching Nina rushing out rudely I might need a drink."
There was this look again.
"And I have to talk to some people here too. Not everyone left immediately after I stepped on the stage."
He scanned the room and I realized that except us there was only an old couple and a cleaner in the room.
"Man I can handle her rudeness and her ignorance! I'm good, promise!"
"Well then take care and send me a message as soon as you get home."
"Alright, bye!"
He just waved and left. I stood there alone with my thoughts still somewhere else. Finally I made my way to the hotel's bar.
No one except me was there not even a bartender. I sat down and thought about helping myself when I saw a phone right next to me. Just by one look at the phone case I knew it was Nina's. The phone case was a gift from her manager for her 21st birthday and since then she had never taken it off.
When I pushed the home button a pic of Lynx appeared and I found myself smiling. Suddenly the bartender stood in front of me with a concerned and questioning look.
"I'll take a single malt, please."
Without opposition he gave me my drink and left again. For a while I just stared at the iPhone in my hand until I realized that people were watching me. The bartender was now standing a few steps away from me and watched me quietly. A few people were standing at the entrance whispering. There was even a paparazzi outside in front of the window trying to get some good pics.
I felt them gazing at me so I just gulped down my drink, put the phone in my pocket, stood up and walked towards the lobby. The guy at the reception stood there open-mouthed and wasn't able to speak for a few seconds until I asked him politely to give me a room.
"Sure Mr. Somerhalder! Would you prefer a single or double room or a suite? I guess you will only stay here for tonight?"
"Yeah right I'll take the suite anyway. And is there any possibility to get a filled minibar and room service? I may stay longer than until the morning."
"Of course there is a minibar and room service. If anyone wants to talk to you shall I let them pass?"
"Just call me. But there won't be anybody. There are not so many people looking out for me right now. Thank you."
"With pleasure Mr. Somerhalder!"
He gave me a key card and I decided to go straight to my suite and forget about the day.
All of a sudden I ran into someone I knew all too well on the way to the elevator.

I was still thinking about the phone and looked for it in my pocket when a head suddenly bumped into my chest.
For one second I smelled a familiar shampoo that made me shiver.
All I could see was dark brown hair. But I knew exactly who that person was. I knew the pineapple peach shampoo, I knew the hair, I knew the woman.
„Nina?" I asked loudly.
Her head suddenly shot up and hit my chin.
„Ouch" she muttered and I had to smile a bit.
„Is everything okay over there?" the reception guy shouted.
„I'm fine thanks" Nina said and subsequently turned around to leave me alone again.
„Hey wait! Don't I get an apology or something? Come on how low can you go?"
Well that was harsh but she left me no choice. I couldn't let her run off again.
But she kept walking towards the lobby so I followed her and grabbed her hand to force her to face me.
„I'm talking to you."
„I'm sorry about that."
She was about to leave again.
„Oh come on Nina get over yourself. You could at least look me in the eye!"
Angry as she already was by now she turned around again and looked deep into my eyes.
„Why? Just to see how happy you are? How much you earned and did since we broke up? Sorry Ian it's not my job anymore to build your ego up, remember?"
„Sure as long as you are happy with running away every time you see me or hear my name."
„I won't argue with you anymore. I'm done Ian."
„So am I."
Now I was angry. I wheeled around and walked towards the elevators. As soon as I was behind the next corner I stopped and leaned against the wall.
That had been intense. I never wanted to make a scene in front of other people. I heard Nina say something again and even though I didn't want to I listened.