Chapter 1: Incomplete

REWRITTEN STORY

*author's note:
this is my first fanfic so please be kind! And english isn't my first language but I tried!
It's mostly about nina and ian and just so you know, I LOVE THEM AS A COUPLE.
please comment, vote, share and continue reading because I really love writing about them!
And I promise it's getting better after a few pages. Don't get distracted from the first words it's not about nian hating each other!
Thank you!*

Nina's POV

"You know what Ian?! SCREW YOU!" I yelled at his face, ignoring all the cameras, all the faces turning in our direction and all the people. All I wanted was to turn around and leave but I knew I couldn't. This was a charity event and even though I couldn't stand seeing Ian, I couldn't leave. It was pretty much my job to be there.
"Are you happy without me? I got over you just so you know!" I shouted. Not the best reaction... but what was I supposed to do?
Everyone stared at us as I made a scene. He just looked at me, our eyes met and all I could hear was his voice right next to my ear.
"Sure you are, I mean that's why you're making a scene, right? I'm over you, too. But I don't act like a child," his voice was loud and full of anger.
That was too much. I just couldn't stand seeing Ian like that; his baby blue eyes full of anger, hating me.
The ground under my feet disappeared within a second but a strong arm caught me right before I lost the last bit of control over my legs. Everything around me was blurry but once it got clearer, I realized that the person the strong arm belonged to was Paul, right next to me.
He lifted me up and I muttered something like 'thank you'. With his arm around my waist, we made our way through the crowd. Then I saw Ian's face again. He seemed worried but it didn't last long. I blinked and his face turned angry again.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Paul staring at Ian but I was still weak-kneed and dizzy so I didn't pay much attention to it. Once we were sitting at our table, Paul reached out for my face and forced me to look at him.
"Okay?" he whispered.
"Okay," I said and put on the best smile I could possibly afford.
I barely ate and refused to look in the direction Ian was sitting. I just knew that there is one camera directly focused at me and Paul, just waiting for me to turn around and look at Ian. But I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. I was about to ask Paul why he was sitting with me and not next to his best friend but when I looked at him I knew the answer. Because it was obvious that I'm weaker than Ian. He was here to protect me and to take care of me.
After a while a guy on stage began calling people up, everyone started clapping, someone stood up, walked to the stage and made speech. Over and over again the same procedure but I didn't listen at all. Until I heard the name Ian Somerhalder.
It hit me straight, I didn't know he had to make a speech too. He stepped on the stage and made his way to the mic. Taking a deep breath, he began.
"Hello everyone, I am glad that I get the opportunity to stand here and talk to you."
I could feel gazes shifting to me. It was as if every time the name Somerhalder came up everyone was waiting for me to react, to freak out. My knees felt weak again as he continued "You know I always had a thing for animals especially cats and dogs, I don't know why. I actually have a cat named Moke. So..."
That was all I heard before I left the room and it was probably the worst thing I could have done in that moment, walking off like that while Ian was on stage. Now no one would ever doubt that I couldn't be near him, not even in the same room. Knowing he was there was one thing, hearing him talk about his cat and seeing him standing all gorgeous in front of me another... but I didn't care.
I gasped and was about to rush out when Paul called my name. I refused to turn around and look at him because I knew what his face would look like and now he was gonna try to comfort me and tell me that everything was going to be fine because that was what he had always said in the last few months. In a way, I'm glad someone's been there to comfort me because the past 6 months had been horrible. My life was almost Ian-less and I was pretty much over him - in a way - but he came back. He always did. So I had to go through the same hell I went through in the first time. He came back all handsome and happy and I realized that I had barely done anything since we broke up; I had only stayed in touch with Paul and Candice, occasionally going out with them. Then I had bought a house in LA so I could move out of the apartment I used to live in with Ian. That was all I did in the past half year while Ian had saved a bunch of animals, worked for his organization and spent time with his family only to come back to LA and rub it into my face.
Finally, I turned around and saw Paul standing a few feet away from me.
"I have to leave. Please understand," I whispered. Paul's facial features became softer.
"I know, I know. I guess I just wanted this to be a normal event with the two of you in the same room."
"You know I was devastated after the sudden end of our relationship. I spent the first months alone in my new house eating ice cream all the time," I frowned.
He just smirked.
"I can't look at him right now because he broke me and left me here alone. Even though I had you and Candice, I was suffering and then he just came back. I hate him for what he did to me and for what I became! So please save it!"
A tear ran down my cheek when I saw his face, all sad and hopeless.
"When he left he broke my heart and now there's just this hole inside of me where he is supposed to be and there's no way filling it. Where his love for me and my love for him was is now just hate and anger. I'm not sorry for leaving him like that. I'll call you when I get home." I was already outside when I turned around one last time to say, "I'm sorry Paul."
He just nodded and looked at the floor. I felt bad for him. With the breakup, he lost two friends. Paul didn't deserve this. He shouldn't have been forced to choose between us, none of our friends should. In the first months after the breakup, I had been scared that even my mother would choose Ian because, well... he's Ian.
But after Ian had left everything somehow went back to normal, with Ian missing. Our friends never talked about him and no one heard from him until he suddenly came back.
Now the atmosphere was kind of heated and sad and no one really knee how to act around us. Awkward though.
As soon as I left the building lights were all over me, people were shouting my name and taking pictures.
"Did you leave because of Ian?"
"Is there more behind your break-up?"
"Do you hate Ian Somerhalder?"
"Are you still in love with Ian?"
"Do you have a secret relationship with Paul Wesley?"
Just nonsense, what everyone was asking me and I stood there in shock not aware of the intensity of them.
I sighed and tried to move forward to get a cab, but moving forward wasn't as easy as it sounded like. I almost fell over my Zuhair Murad gown and a mic hit me on the head. When I finally reached the street and opened a cab's door, I turned around again to face the paparazzi one last time before I left.
Suddenly everything was quite and just the sound of some cameras making photos cut the air. I held my breath and just said "No."
I know that was pretty dramatic but nothing else came to my mind.
Confused faces were all I got because immediately I jumped in the cab and told the driver my address. In the cab I couldn't stop my tears from running down my cheeks. The worried cab driver gave me a concerned look and asked shyly "Is everything okay?"
"Perfectly fine. Can you now just bring me to that address please?"
His facial expression changed and I could see how hurt and pissed off he was.
"I'm sorry it was a long and hard night..." I sighed.
"I understand. Never mind."
He smiled back at me in the mirror and I gave him a cracked smile. I just felt like everything was falling apart.
I reached for my phone in my purse but it wasn't there. Before I panicked I tried to stay calm and recollect. Out of the blue I suddenly remembered leaving it at the bar so I told the driver to turn around and bring me back even though we had almost reached my place. Confused as he already was because I sat there crying and wondering about everything I had just said he just turned the car around and brought me back.
"Shall I wait?" he asked.
I looked around and saw that almost every cab was gone by now, only 10 minutes after I had left so Ian must have been the last one to make a speech.
"I'll stay in the hotel thank you", I answered and gave him twenty bucks. He nodded and drove off.
A drunk couple crossed my path on the way to the bar but no one else was there. I passed a mirror and stopped immediately. My eyes were puffed and red, my make-up smudgy and my lips cracked.
I looked out for the comfort room and searched for my lip balm in my purse as I ran into someone.