Chapter 25 (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Did you make this?" His face lights up and he flips it over to view the track list. I nod. "Rachel..." His grin is face splitting and he leans over to kiss me hard. "I love you so much. Now stop biting your lip it's very distracting."

I release my lip immediately. His tone is not to be trifled with. He gazes at the CD still beaming at the songs. I love how happy he is. I know that his smile is genuine.

"I also got you something else." I whisper to him.

He looks over at me with his head cocked to one side. I place my hand over his on my leg. Slowly, I drag his palm up my thigh, under my dress, and stop him before I get to my center. Marshall's eyes are wide and I can see his chest rising and falling in heavy, frustrated breaths. Just as he's about to act on it, he removes his touch and pulls out a small black box.

"For you." He says and kisses my hair.

I take the box from him and open it. Inside there's a small diamond necklace. It is a single square cut white diamond on a silver chain. So beautifully simple and elegant. So me, but also so him. So expensive. Shit how much did this cost?

"Marshall." I breathe, looking up at him and smiling a toothy smile.

"Let me." He plucks the necklace from the box and undoes the clasp.

I sit up straighter on the couch as he fastens it around my neck. Marshall lightly pulls my hair out of it and kisses me softly. He turns me back, gazing at my upper half.

"You deserve all the diamonds money can buy." He takes my hands and pulls me in for a kiss.

"How much was this?" I pull away and look into his eyes.

"Don't worry about it." He says sternly, in an I-don't-want-to-have-this-conversation type of way.

I kiss him hard again and thank him for the lovely necklace. Snuggling back up against his shoulder, I watch the gift exchange for a little while longer. I haven't called my mom today. Maybe I should. I miss her. I hope she misses me too. I reach down beside me but my phone isn't there. I look in my bag and on the floor but its not there either.

"Lose something?" Marshall asks, noticing my distress.

"I can't find my phone." I say. "I want to call my mom."

"Do you want to check the car?" He asks.

"Yeah actually now that you said that, I left it in the glove box." I take the keys he's holding out for me and stand up.

"Want me to come with you?" He offers, also standing.

Jesus. So protective. "No I'll be back in 2 minutes." I give him a reassuring kiss and hurry out the front door.

I walk down the driveway towards Marshall's Cadillac. I get in the driver's side and lean over to grab my phone. Before I get out of the car, my eyes connect with the reflection of my necklace in the rearview mirror. How much was it? He's so damn stubborn. He didn't need to get me anything. I just want to be with him. I sigh and turn to get out of the car but something catches my eye again in the mirror. There's someone behind the car. It's too dark to see who it is but my stomach immediately knots with fear. Slowly the person walks towards the blind spot of the car and I can't see anymore. Fuck.

Out of nowhere the driver side door swings open and two strong arms grab me around the waist. I let out a harsh scream, before one of his hands covers my mouth to silence me. My eyes dart around for something, anything. I pray to God that someone in the house will hear this. As he yanks me from the car I try to squirm out of his hold, screaming through his hand and kicking the horn. I get four good kicks on it before I'm fully dragged to the ground. He moves his hand to adjust and I bite down hard on his wrist.

"Fuck!" He screams and shoves me to the ground. "Bitch!"

I screech again while feeling a burning sting on my forearms. I look at them and see streaks of blood dripping down. Glass? I landed on glass. Before I have time to react he's lifting me up by the waist. I can't find my footing and I'm dead weight in his arms. Finally, light comes from the house, Rule carries two trash bags around the side. I scream again and his head turns. Rule drops the bags and hurdles towards us, leaping over the hood of a car. Immediately I'm dropped down to the pavement again and the stinging is back. I look up and see the mans feet running towards a truck. Rule curses at him but he gets in the truck and pulls out. The license plate is a word, starting with c. Crazy? Chair? Rule's beside me in an instant.

"Rachel?!" He asks holding me. "Can you hear me?!"

I nod. And begin to feel faint.

"Shit that's a lot of blood." He curses. "Oh God there's glass." Rule frantically lifts me up and let's me sit against Marshall's car. "Rachel don't worry it's gonna be okay." He reassures, holding my shoulders straight.

Rule pulls out his phone, I don't know who he's dialing. I'm beginning to lose consciousness.

"Yes my friend she's bleeding a lot I need an ambulance." He says with worry. "She was attacked...no he drove off when I ran to her...thank you..." Rule shoves his phone in his pocket and holds my chin up at eye level. "Rachel stay with me, listen to me. I'm gonna get Marshall."

All I can manage is a nod, Rule's voice is slipping away. I see through half closed eyes as he sprints back up to the house. They're coming. I tell myself. It feels like hours before they come out. Marshall hurdles ahead of Rule and two others whose faces are blurry. I hear Marshall's voice but I don't know what he's saying. His arms wrap around me and pull me close. Safe. Finally.

"Rachel?" His voice is close to my ear, and choppy. I think he's crying. "You're gonna be okay baby I promise. They're coming."

"Marshall." I try to say, but lose my words immediately.

"Shh." He says soothingly. "Don't talk."

I roll my head back. All of a sudden I'm exhausted. Marshall presses his lips against mine for a second. I feel calm, and tired. I feel like all the energy has been drained out of me and I want to go to sleep. Finally there's sirens coming up the driveway and I feel my body relax completely. Everything is going to be fine.