Chapter 1

Name: Febe Sowheart Date: October 14, 2015

I write my name and the date at the top of the paper. I am trying to write a paper for english class. It's supposed to be about a real life story that has impacted you. Let's just say I'm having some trouble. I mean I'm a typical farm girl from Alabama that moved to Chicago for her dad's work. I started school here a little less than a week ago and I already have a project to work on. I'm on a big, musty bus full of teenagers on my way to school. My dad doesn't have time to drive me so it's either this or walk. And let me just say, walking in Chicago in the middle of fall to a school more than half an hour away from home is kinda a road trip, so I take the bus. I have my headphones on and I take a break from staring down at my blank sheet of paper and look outside. The bus zooms through the city-- traffic noise filling the air. There are many people outside. Whether they're shopping with their families or friends or just taking a walk, this town never sleeps.

The bus finally arrives at the school. I walk to the front, kindly thank the bus driver, and hop off the bus.

My new school is called Totem High School. It's a large school located just outside the city. I take a deep breath and walk through the doors. I still haven't memorized where my classes are yet so I spin my backpack around and grab the slip of paper. My first class is Chemistry, located on the second floor, classroom number 206. I weave around people as I try to get to my class. The stairs are so crowded, so I decide to go to my locker first. I type in the combination, 35-40-15, and pull the latch. It opens and I grab my Chem book. It is large and very heavy. I take my backpack off and stick the book in. I zip it up, close my locker, and head towards the stairs.

Right as I'm about the enter, a big, muscular boy stands in my way.

"Going somewhere, Newbie?" he says with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. The bell rings before I have a chance to speak and the boy immediately moves out of my way and sits down at his table.

"Good morning, class. I hope you remembered that we are doing a lab today so I'm now going to assign lab partners," the teacher says. She rattles off a list of names of whom I don't know until she gets to me, "and Febe your with Brittany." I see a girl with long blonde hair flash a glance my way. 'This is going to be a long class,' I think. The teacher stops talking and lets us begin. Brittany walks over to me and sits down. Without even looking at me she says, "So your the newbie, huh?"

"My name's Febe and yes, I started school here a few days ago." I calmly reply. Brittany is on her phone, quickly typing something. Still typing she says,

"Well, Febe, let me teach you some rules here at Totem High. 1) From now on you call be Britt, got it! 2) I'm the popular one around here so treat me like I am. 3) I hate Chemistry and I'm so clumsy I'll probably just mess up the labs. So unless you want a bad grade..." She looks up and gives me the puppy face. I have a feeling I will be doing all of this work by myself.

I just ignore the comment and put my apron, gloves, and goggles on. I look at the piece of paper that the teacher handed us. We have to make this Chemical substance. It's intro to Chem sort of stuff so it shouldn't be to difficult. I look at the supplies around me. I have exactly what I need (plus a little more so I make sure I set those aside). All I have to do is measure out the substances and pour them in in the correct order. I measure the first liquid. It's tinted a blue color. I measure out exactly 3 mm and pour it in. I do that with the rest of them until I am left with one liquid. I am about to pour it in when Britt shoves me out of the way and grabs the wrong liquid and pours it in. I have a green substance all over me now and that's not even the worst part. I have been working on this project for the whole class period and now it's destroyed.

"Oops!" she sarcastically exclaims, "I told you I was clumsy!" She flashes a wicked smile and I look back down at myself. I'm drenched. It just had to be the liquid we had to pour the most of. I walk over to the sink at the other end of the room and grab some paper towel. I start to dry myself off when I smell something weird. I look behind me and see that our project is bubbling up and releasing this weird fragrance. The teacher immediately notices and tells everyone to exit the room. I quickly walk to the other side of the room but as I walk past our lab table I slip and hit my head on the floor. With the help of the strange gas, I am both unnoticed and easily knocked out.