Painted Nails Make Harry Beautiful

Start from the beginning

"We have the weekend off, though." Harry's already quiet words are muffled by Louis' shoulder, so Louis pulls away and asks him to repeat what he said.

"What does that mean?" Louis holds onto Harry's hands and looks him in the eyes, not wanting to miss a word of what Harry is saying.

"We have the weekend off, meaning we don't have to leave the house. We could try it, but no way in hell am I going out with painted nails."

"I knew you would finally come around!" Louis kisses Harry, proud of him for going out of his comfort zone. He unzips the bag for Harry, then sits back and lets him look at the colors.

When Louis and Harry visited Louis' family last week, Louis asked Daisy and Phoebe for nail polish in case Harry ever agreed to paint his nails. So, they gave Louis the small cosmetic bag with five colors: blue, purple, white, pink, and baby pink.

"Which one should I do?" Harry's voice is soft as he looks thoughtfully at each color that he placed on the couch.

"Up to you." Louis bites his lip as he admires Harry; this must not be very easy for Harry, but Louis is so proud of him for doing it. Harry eventually decides on the baby pink, which barely looks pink at all.

"Can we do it somewhere more comfortable?"

"On the bed?" Louis suggests as he puts the other bottles of nail polish back in the bag.

"Sure. But it's not my fault if you spill it," Harry giggles before heading towards the stairs. "Oh, I did tell you you're painting my nails, right?" A small smirk spreads on Harry's face, and Louis can't help but laugh; of course he'll paint his boyfriend's nails for him. Louis lies sideways on the bed, propping himself up on his elbow, and Harry sits with his legs crossed across from him.

"Shouldn't we put a towel down?" Louis asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Only if you plan on spilling it," Harry shrugs, subconsciously pouting his lower lip out. Louis throws his head back and chuckles at Harry's teasing before responding.

"You're killing me, Hazza. Are you sure you're okay with this?" Louis sighs as he looks into Harry's eyes.

"I've thought about it a little bit, and if I'm ever going to do it then now is the time, since we have a few days off," Harry explains. Louis smiles and shakes the nail polish bottle before gently grabbing Harry's left hand and setting it on the space between them.

"Remember when you painted your nails in that one interview? From years ago?" Louis wonders as he carefully begins painting Harry's nails, taking time to make sure each one is perfect and has an even coat.

"I didn't want to do it but you made me," Harry huffs while he watches Louis, thinking back to the interview where Louis held Harry's hands down as a girl painted his nails. Right now, Louis seems to know what he is doing, like he has painted someone's nails before. It warms Harry's heart to think of Louis helping his younger sisters paint their nails.

"I made you do it because I knew you wanted to. And then I said, 'painted nails make Harry beautiful'," Louis fondly says.

"How do you remember that? It was so long ago," Harry says.

"I saw it on Twitter yesterday. Give me your thumb." Harry makes a loose fist with his thumb on top and watches in comfortable silence as his boyfriend carefully paints his nail. "How does it look?" Louis asks. Harry holds his hand up so he can see his painted nails clearly. He feels strange, like part of him wants to cry and part of him wants Louis to paint the other hand. He swallows a lump in his throat before looking at Louis with glassy eyes.

"Part of it feels wrong. Guys shouldn't paint their nails. But I also don't hate it." Harry admits; he feels as if he is discovering a new part of himself. Louis pauses for a moment before continuing on with the other hand.

"It's so unlike you to say that. You've grown so much in who you are. Maybe one day you'll feel confident enough to wear nail polish in public. That is what you want, right?" Although Louis is focused on Harry's nails, his honest words are as strong as ever and hit Harry right in the heart.

"How do you know if I even want that?" Harry defends himself.

"Baby, we've been together for four years. You've started to realize that fashion doesn't have a gender, and you're absolutely right. Painting your nails is no different. It's a way to express yourself, not something only reserved for my ten year old sisters." Harry lets out a small chuckle and admires Louis as he finishes painting his other nails. "Alright, don't do anything with your hands for a bit, I don't want them to get messed up."

"I actually kind of like them." A wide smile forms on Harry's face as he holds up both hands in front of him. The baby pink is subtle, but it is just enough for Harry to know it's there.

"I'm glad you like them, they look beautiful on you. Now let's go back to watching TV." Louis sits up and kisses Harry before following him back downstairs, his heart full of pride for his boy.

-