chapter 8

LYDIAS POV

6:47 PM

I had just finished my dinner and was now sitting in my room scrolling through my Twitter feed, Ghost Whisperer on in the background. Light rain was showering down, pitter-pattering sounds faintly heard as little droplets hit the concrete and the roof of the house. My eyes were scanning through a long list of tweets, but I wasn't really reading them. My mind was tossing thoughts of Harry around,

I wonder what he and Charlene did today?

I wonder if he's still out with her...

BOOOOOM!

Raging thunder crackled, shaking my house a little.

The rain started falling harder.

I sighed at the sound of the now larger raindrops hitting my house harder at a quicker pace.

Just then I heard a knock at my door. I slid out of bed and rushed down the stairs to get it. I opened the door to Harry, who was absolutely drenched.

"Hey Lyd. Can I come in?" He asked with a small smirk, shivering slightly because of the cold clothes that clung tightly to his body. I could see the outline of his strong abs through the wet, black fabric of his t-shirt.

Wow.

I never really took notice to Harry's body. I knew he was good looking, but I never really looked like I did in that moment.

Just friends.

"Sure," I giggled a little inviting him in. "Um... You take your shoes off, I'll get you a towel to dry off and warm up," I suggested before leaving him by the door, hurrying upstairs to the bathroom to grab him a towel. I also grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt he had left at my house a while ago, that I had-admittedly- slept in before.

Harry smelled good. His clothes smelt good. They smelt like pine and mint and warmth. They smelt like kindness and familiarness and love.

I quickly went back downstairs to hand Harry the towels and clothes. He took them, wrapping the towel around his shaking, freezing body, setting the clothes down.

"Can I leave these here?" He questioned, looking down at the clothes.

"Don't you want to take off those soaking clothes you have on?" I was a little confused.

"Yeah," he said cooly, " but I want to take you somewhere first," a huge grin appeared on his face. I started to feel a smile take over my face too-Harry's smiles are contagious.

He set down the towel and wrapped the sweater I had brought down for him to change into around me. Before I could really react to his strange behavior, he grabbed my hand opening the door and running out into the rain, me trailing behind, tight grip on his hand.

"What are you doing Harry?!?!" I shouted over the deafening sound of the pouring rain. "It's cold and rainy and it's getting dark!"

"Just trust me, ok?" He yelled back to me.

I trusted him. There had never been a time in my life when I couldn't trust Harry.

Harry and I had run from my yard to his yard, to the open field behind his house where there was a small pond and a few trees. Harry seemed to be leading me to the biggest tree-an oak tree close to the pond.

Along with the darkness and rain there was fog, making it even harder to see. As we got closer to the big tree, I thought I could see little sparks of light.

Am I getting hypothermia?

What are those lights?

I'm becoming delusional...

But I continued to follow Harry's lead. I trusted him.

We finally got to the tree. The lights I had seen were candles, set on soaking wet grass, about 2 dozen of them lining the area. I don't know how most of the candles managed to stay lit through the pouring rain. Harry stopped running- we were both panting. He started to laugh. I don't know why.

Feelings drive people crazy.

I started laughing too. For no reason, just for Harry. Because of Harry.

That's all that's on my mind right now.

No Charlene.

No promise.

No "just friends"

Just Harry.

After what was only seconds but seemed like hours, Harry and I both started laughing.

"Harry, what is this?" I asked.

"I don't know..." He sighed.

"Well the candles are beautiful," I said with a small smile.

He moved closer to me.

"I tried to paint a living picture, a scenery as beautiful as you," he said looking down.

I didn't know how to reply. That was really cheesy. I felt my cheeks getting hot though all the same, thankful that it was too dark to see the rosy red that was now surely radiant on my face.

"Lydia, today when I took Charlene out, all I could think about was you. Gosh- all I can ever think about lately is you. I know, way back when we were kids we promised best friends forever, but things change. Lydia, I don't want to ruin what we have right now- but I can't settle for just friends anymore. I've never felt this way about anyone else. I need to hold onto you. Screw just friends. You're beautiful and all I think about is you and the only person I want to be with is you. I have you now but I need more of you."

Just when I thought we couldn't get any closer together, he stepped in, creating even less space between our bodies. We were more like one than two now.

"Today, I broke up with Charlene. I left her. I didn't only leave her because she's not what I was looking for, I left her because I know what I've been looking for and I can't believe it took me this long to realize that what I've been looking for all this time has been in front of me from the start. Maybe I knew. Maybe I was too afraid to admit it. Maybe i was too caught up in "just friends." Please Lydia. I want to be much more. I..."

"Harry," I cut him off looking deep into his wanting eyes, "you don't know how long I've been waiting to hear those words. I feel the same way about you...."

He breathed out a sigh of relief, releasing the anxiety, the pressure, the fear- revealing a smile that lit up the dark more than the candles that surrounded us.

Our eyes were caught in each other's, completely locked. Harry took my hands and wrapped them around his neck, then placed his own hands around my waist.

Then we danced. We swayed back and forth in the rain to the sound of just rain alone- pelting the grass, seemingly rhythmic to us as we found our footing and rocked suddenly in unison. No music, just rain. We were cold and soaked in the pitch black night, but we were together. Finally.

After 18 years.

Much more.