𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐆𝐄

Start from the beginning

She scoffs arrogantly, "In some way or shape?"

I smile goofily, "C'mon, I'm being serious." Her lips part slightly before nodding as I continued, "A couple of years back, I got involved with this girl, and we sort of...had a daughter together. Long story short, we had a really bad ending to our relationship, and I haven't seen my child since. I do mail some cards and everything. She did send me some photos and everything. Now, she's gotten married and at least, my daughter has a step-father? I don't know. I try not to think about it, but when I see kids here in the ER, it just makes me think about my kid and what she might be doing. Today's her birthday, and it hurts Cleo. It hurts not waking up and being the one to buy her a cake or just holding her at night and telling her that I love her, you know?"

I sigh depressively as Cleo rests her hand on top of mine. My head turns away as I lay my back against the couch with my arms folded.

"I'm sorry. Dante...Dante, look at me," she answers.

I continue to turn away while breathing slowly to stop myself from crying. I couldn't imagine myself, a grown man, crying in front of an intern to be pitied upon.

Suddenly, I stood up before explaining, "C'mon...I have to work. There's no time for this lifetime channel drama."

She stood up beside me before wrapping my arms around me from behind.

"I can hear how much you're hurting...it's okay to be emotional, you know that right?" she whispers.

I could feel her head resting against my back as I mutter, "You know, I can't have emotions because that's not what people expect from me. Cleo, I'm going to be fine. I just had a little moment of vulnerability."

She lifts her head from my back as I turn towards her.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked.

She nods her head before I grab her small, delicate hands and hold them into mine, "Cleo, have you ever been on the Catalina Express before?" She smuggles a discreet smirk before shaking her head, "No...but why do I have the feeling you want to take me there?" I chuckle before asking, "Well what else you plan to do with weekend? Pay attention to Michael talking about ass crack surgeries? How about tonight? I promise to keep you laughing the whole time."

She giggles softly, "It's a date, but please. No ramen noodles."

The two of us laugh in unison before adding, "No, I only go cheap for my male dates. Lunch, you and me." She rests her hands on her hips before rolling her eyes, "Oh, so you want two dates in one day?" I cheese happily, "Maybe if you didn't work here, I wouldn't have been this lucky, right? Also, Cleo?" She looks at me with that definitively perfect smile.

"It's always hard to talk to Michael about this you know? Maybe, because it's just our dynamic as men, but it felt nice opening up to you. Can we...just keep this between us?" I proposed.

She nods her head before grinning playfully, "Of course, I know you men have to keep such a macho front for whatever reason." I laugh as the two of us embraced.

Cleo.
ER Lounge Room.
08:12

Dante and I release from the hug as a nurse walks into the lounge room.