Great perhaps

A/N: Credits to John Greens Looking for Alaska for the idea of 'great perhaps.' I actually haven't even read the book but I came across these two words and I just wrote what I understood out of them. If you decide to read further on, thank you!

Ps. I'm in love with the image on the side (or top--if you're on your phone)

***

Giving into your sweet tooth craving at seven in the morning you stepped out of your hotel suite dressed in nothing but your night suit with pink unicorns and a cream coloured jacket to cover it all.

New York was a beautiful and a bustling city, to say the least. Even at this time in the morning, people raced the curb frantically in all directions trying to get to their jobs or complete deadlines. However for you, you had no idea why you even decided to take a vacation in the city that never slept, of all places available as an option to you. And the worst part of your random trip here was, One Direction happened to spend their week off tour in the city too. And as if fate was constantly trying to pull you back into the swamp you once were breathless in, your ex Zayn Malik, had chosen the hotel you were staying in, of all hotels in the area. But of course he did not know you were in the city--until he met you, that is. And also because Plaza Hotel on the Fifth avenue was a celebrity attraction.

Your hair sat in a messy bun directly on top of your head because you kind of liked it that way. It went with your face type and looked equally chic. Your socked feet were covered by black vans that you put on in a haste and one of the laces was untied but really you were too bored to do it. You thought if you took care you would not trip on it on your way to the closest candy store and back to your hotel suite. The last two days, ever since you had gotten to know of the sexiest man alive being in your hotel, you had been camping in your suite not wanting to step out and only splurging excessively on room service. But right now, you could not control your sugar craving and thought the boys, or men precisely, would not be up so early so the coast was probably clear for you to pass without being noticed.

But you thought wrong.

Whipping your head to your right you saw him--with men in tight black vest tops, earplugs and glares following him. His hair was styled in his usual way with the blonde extra visible as his thin white t-shirt clung to his lean frame covered by your ever so favourite black leather jacket. You were about ten to twelve foot way from him and soon as you saw him you considered running back into the hotel but you spent a second too long staring at that Adonis making you blow your cover, which you technically weren't even taking but just thinking over.

"Becca?" He turns towards you still walking as his attention is diverted from the man he previously was speaking with.

"Zayn." You relax your nerve-struck state and smile at him trying to appear calm but inside you were bumbling like a chemistry lab experiment gone wrong. You knew if he stood ahead of you and spoke to you, your emotions would rise and blow up right in the elite balcony of this hotel.

But he didn't seem to be happy at your existence at all. His lips are sealed and his brows are knit making a frown come alive on the striking features of his. Even though he is supposed to be your past, one that you should be over, you can't help the sweet rush of emotions that comes seeing him approach you.

"What are you doing here?" You ask instead as he walks over to stand by you and orders for his security to wait for him in the lobby, giving you two the much needed solitary company.

His expressions are too vague for you to read probably because you were either out of practise of gauging his thoughts or he really had mastered the art of covering. And the second was the plausible option.

"Week off." His free hand rises to rub the back of his neck and you notice the white paper bag with black strings held in the other. Given the snoopy person you were you tried to imagine or guess what would be in there, though trying your best to look even the slightest bothered with it. "You?"

"Week off too." You giggled and you mentally wanted to hit yourself over it. Why were you acting like a sixteen year old with an obsessive infatuation?

"Oh." But Zayn had that effect on you, out of anyone else. He had the ability of make you feel vulnerable and safe at the same time, if that was even possible; which it was.

"I got to rush." You secured the sash that held your jacket to its place over your stomach and decided to exit. Maybe this was all that was written for you to go through with him. You and him growing up in Nebraska from when he shifted to your city at about six years of age before he shifted back to Bradford at sixteen. You two were the best of friends that there had ever been in history. And the distance did not change it. Soon your crazy hormones took over and you two were on the road to experiment relationships. You were each other's first in everything. First relationship, first kiss, first love, everything. But as always, fame got in the way. And distance became a little too hard to ignore.

"Yeah." His frown still graced the best of him and as you stood by ready to leave, you actually waited for him to say something more than just a word 'yeah.'

"I'll see you around." When the relationship ended there had been a lot to be talked over and all that. But you two were mindless teens who were oblivious to closures. But now you were old, so was he. Maybe meeting today was fate's idea of bringing two lost souls together.

"Yeah." He says again and looking like he was fighting himself to say something more but you took this 'yeah' as your cue to leave, nodding at him once with a smile.

Or maybe this was just a deflated day for both of you.

As you walked two steps passing him on the right and trying to keep calm until you were out of view, you heard him call your name. Turning around you saw him jog towards you with the white paper bag held tightly in his hands.

"I have these," he bends a little to fish something out of the white bag and produces an envelope that he pushed towards you. "Five tickets to The Lion King Show." Ripping out the glossy piece of stationery, he read something out of them. "It says The Minskoff Theatre, I mean I just got these from the publicity guy in the team and-well, I was wondering if you'd like to go with me." He blabbered at first because he too was nervous and that gave you a soothing sense of satisfaction but he recovered instantly by jumping to the point.

"Five? That means if you take me, one of the boys will have to stay back." You giggled because the truth was as much as he made you weak in the knees after all these years, you kind of had the same effect on him.

"Yeah. I guess. Or we could see another show, if you want." This time, the smile you so loved on him was back. The frown vanished like it never existed and the reason was your playfulness.

Seeing you after all these years had made him panic a little and he really didn't know what to say. He could very well go over the reasons you two fell apart for and hold you by the numerous blames he had ready or he could just bend down on his knee and beg you to take him back. Even though he considered the two options, he wasn't the one to choose any. He was not the kind to hurt anyone or let his ego down.

"Another show sounds good." You blinked and stared up at him through your lashes the one way you knew he liked and you could only see the dazzle in his eyes get brighter.

"Good to me too."

The smile you two wore did not represent any momentous thing. It represented what was to come in the future. It represented being complete and having everything that you and him once wished for.

Sure, things were unfinished but the bad memories could be flushed out to let new ones take over with a new beginning. Moreover, being burnt with the love you once shared and the hollow feeling that settled once everything was over would be a constant reminder for the both of you to maybe take things slowly and not mess up. Or perhaps nothing would escalate out of the broadway-show-date. It really was a great perhaps; your and his life here. But at least you and him were here, together, that could be enough to live for; right now.

***