Chapter Two

(Timeline will differ from the books)

Gwyn's POV 

Making her way back to the library, Gwyn's thoughts were on one thing only. One person really. Azriel, the Spymaster. A soft haunting song falling quietly from her lips as she smiled a little. She had caught him a few times throwing glances her way and when he caught her looking at him he would smile a little before quickly turning away. 

She sighed, a dreamy look on her face as she remembered how it felt to have his arms around her, his hands over hers as his lean, muscular body brushed hers while showing her how to move with the blade. 

She glanced guiltily around then laughed at herself. It wasn't like anyone could possibly know her thoughts. She relaxed a little and her smile returned. 

Nothing could spoil her mood today. Not after that. She stepped over the threshold of the library to find Clotho at her desk and the High Lord beside her. They stopped talking as she approached. They were both turned in her direction as if they had heard her coming. 

"Ah, Gwyneth, it is nice to see you. I believe you were at training, I do hope Azriel wasn't overly harsh today." The High Lord's voice was velvety and smooth as he greeted her. He had a slightly mischievous glint in his eyes. 

Clotho smiled up at her as the High Lord spoke.

"Not at all High Lord, as tiring as it was, it was quite...invigorating, and the whole experience very empowering. Azriel is a very dedicated and accomplished instructor." Gwyn smiled freely.

Rhysand soft smile quirked into a slight grin, "I am pleased to hear it and I am sure he would be too." 

Gwyn couldn't quite put her finger on it but there was something about that smile. It was a kind of knowing smile. A smile that hinted at secrets and whispered words. She laughed a little, "I am sure the Spymaster would be but best not to say, I don't want him to get above himself and think I have been discussing him." No, her little infatuation with the warrior was something she didn't want to become known. It was her secret, one she would only share with her sisters, Nesta and Emerie.

The Highlord smiled wider and laughed, "It can be our little secret." 

Secret he had said. Could he read her mind? Gwyn blushed. No, she was being paranoid. She shook her head slightly to dislodge that silly idea. "Um, yes. Well, I must get to work. Merrill wouldn't be happy if I was late." Her smile spread, eyes brightening as she nodded to Rhysand and Clotho.

As she was about to back away Clotho beckoned her, she indicated a little box on her desk. Glancing at the page beside it the words suddenly appeared, 'This was left for you earlier.'

Gwyn's head tilted slightly, her face a mask of confusion, "For me?" She reached for the box and popped the lid. There laying in the soft silk was a beautiful pendant. A tiny rose held preciously in a little glass bauble. She gasped. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. She glanced briefly at the priestess before resting her gaze once more on the beautiful gift, "Who would leave such a gift for me? I know no one, and I am sure had it been either Nesta or Emerie they would have mentioned it during training." 

The High Lord glanced at the delicate gift and for a fraction of a second his smile faltered, but it was gone as quickly as it had appeared. 

Clotho nodded, 'I believe they wished to remain anonymous. But it was very thoughtful of them.'

Gwyn smiled. Someone thought enough of her to leave such an elegant gift. She quickly removed it from the box and quickly secured the chain around her neck, the little bauble hung just below the hollow of her throat. She touched it gently, her smile wistful. "Well I must get moving, I think it best not to start the day on Merrill's bad side. But please, should you see the person who left this, please thank them for me. I shall cherish it, it is the most precious gift I have ever received."