Chapter 2

March 25th
The rain pitter-pattered against the roof of Reki's home at a steady pace, sounding similar to the pounding hooves of running cattle. For three days straight, stormy weather engulfed Okinawa in a drench. Being unable to skate or cook outside left Reki feeling both physically and mentally weak. They had been living off of raw and dry foods from their pantry of grains and fruits that they had stocked up for when the weather would get bad and because of it, Reki was beginning to have fantasies of meat. There, where he laid on the couch, it was slowly driving him crazy.

Beforehand, Koyomi had helped their mother bring in the dairy placed in a nearby thin stream that kept it cold long before the first rain droplet hit the ground and it currently sat off to Reki's side. He agonizingly watched the sweat roll down the jar of milk's side before switching to eye one of the eggs with ponderment.

Boredom was an annoying emotion and it was not like Reki could use the internet to avoid it like he used to.

His mother caught his attention as she erupted from a side room, nearing where he sat and peering down at him. She paused before him in a moment of thought. "Now, Reki, why don't you join your sisters? I know you keep saying there's no use in schooling anymore, but you might as well since you're just wasting away on the couch like a grandpa," she suggested, hand crossing over her chest and eyes remaining locked on Reki's expressions.

He considered it for a moment. He thought about trying to finally understand parabolas and cube roots, working on his failing english, or perfecting his writing skills. However, all seemed like poor options that he honestly was not up to even attempt to pretend to care about. Watching his gloomy face hold the same unlabored and unamused expression, his mother dropped her hands to her side with a sigh.

"I know you dislike school subjects, but I know you love skateboarding, so how about you study that? Like the boards themselves. I know you've dabbled a bit before, but I mean, like, truly learn," his mother began, catching her breath in her throat for a few moments before continuing, "I ran into a highschool friend of mine yesterday when wandering the trading market. He had been working at a skateboard repair shop before the Silent Days knocked businesses off their feet. If you're interested, I already have some manuals and stuff that he lent me for you to look at..."

Reki's eyes opened wider ever-so-slightly. Skateboard craft. He had attempted to make a functional skateboard once or twice before, but he never was able to and when Day Zero hit, all hopes of ever completing one flew away. "But without electricity, I won't be able to use my tools...," he explained, deflated at the notion.

His mother tsked at him and shook her head. "There was a way to carve and shape before electronics, Reki. I'm sure we can find some good materials at the market or in what's left at the abandoned stores," she assured, placing a firm hand on her son's shoulder, "In the meantime, read those manuals so you know what you want to be looking for to make your perfect board. Just remember about safety and don't go too flashy."

Reki eased at his mother's advice, grinning up at her. He nodded enthusiastically, his grim day finding purpose with the offer. Reading and scanning the depictions and descriptions took what Reki had assumed to be around two or three hours and in that time, the rain let up enough for his family to step outside without becoming bathed in rainwater. After another hour or so of Reki playing with his store-bought board, comparing it to the images in the manuals, the weather had basically completely cleared up.

Staring up at the sky through one of the main room windows, Reki noted that It had to be around afternoon because between where the clouds parted, the sun peeked out slightly over halfway. A few grey clouds were hovering in the atmosphere, remnants of the three-day storm and Reki's misery.

Glancing down at the overturned skateboard resting in front of him and the manual that laid limp his right hand, Reki considered his next move. He knew it was too early to try to find outside materials, but maybe, he thought, there were some salvageable leftover supplies from his early attempts in his old hideout.

Back when Reki was really motivated in trying to forge a working skateboard, he would haul up in an abandoned shed offshore of a nearby beach that he had found when he was seven. Sure, it was quite the walk from his home, but Reki could always skate there. Now, however, it was safe to assume that the path to the little beach shed was much more obscured and difficult than it previously was. Peeking once more at the manual, he felt a rush of determination flow through him. Soon he hoped he would finally hold true to a six-year-long hope and promise.

Reki wanted to make the best board out there--one that would beat Kaoru's old electronic board, Carla, and could help the teen catch up to the level of skill his friends possessed.

Before he could set out, though, Reki felt a tug at the hem of his hoodie. Looking down, he found his younger twin sisters in scuffed bright yellow raincoats. The more outgoing of the two, Nanaka, tugged once more on his clothes and pointed outside through the window where puddles had piled up from the excessive rain. "Play!" she chimed, big brown eyes pleading. The other, Chihiro, joined in with her sister, begging Reki to play with them.

"I told them no, but mentioned that you'd be interested since you're a giant child," Koyomi announced from the doorway to the kitchen, sticking her tongue out before returning to munching on the remnants of a popsicle.

Reki glared at her in disbelief and shook his head, deciding Koyomi would taste revenge at a later time. Then he turned to Chihiro and Nanaka with a breadwinning beam, "Sure, why not?"