What if I can't protect you?(KamaNiwa)

Start from the beginning

"I woke up and saw you weren't there. You alright?"

"Sorry. I'm fine, just couldn't sleep." Kaname frowned, he walked around the couch to stand in front of his husband.

"No you're not. You could sleep through anything unless you have something on your mind." Yasushi tried to reply but he was cut off "Don't lie to me. I can feel how nervous you are from our bond." He took a seat on the couch next to his husband "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing. Go back to sleep." Kaname sighed

"Okay then." Yasushi thought that was the end, but he forgot how stubborn the omega was sometimes. It was times like this that he was reminded first hand as his mate swung a leg over his lap, using it as a foothold to move himself into his mate's lap, forcing Yasushi to look at him.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me. " Yasushi looked to the side to avoid his gaze. "Yasushi. Look at me." "Holding it in won't make you feel better, I know that better than anyone. So just tell me, I might be able to help.

"....I'm just scared."

"Scared? of what?"

"Just...what this means and what could happen."

"I don't understand."

"From this afternoon."

"What happened this-oh." He finally got it

Kaname took his hands into his, giving them a gentle squeeze.

Yasushi hadn't really thought about what his mate's pregnancy and what problems could arise from it until tonight.

It wasn't that he didn't want another child, far from it. Or that more than one baby could pose a struggle, he felt confident he was up for it. He didn't have a problem with anything else ether.

What he did have a problem with was the risks.

Kaname had a a relatively normal and healthy pregnancy. He was more exhausted than the average pregnant omega, but considering their son decided to be more active when he was trying to sleep, that was to be expected.

It was during labor when the complications started.

12 hours. That's how long Yasushi had waited, unsure if his mate was going to live or die.

It started as normal, Kaname had asked to be alone during labor, which surprised the alpha at first, but he had agreed.

He waited in the hallway, sitting in a chair, trying to distract himself so he wouldn't feel nervous. If he did, there's a good chance his mate would feel it and he couldn't have that. Especially now.

"Yasushi-san?" a nurse came up to him, a forlorn look on her face.

He should've payed more attention to that.

"Yes?

"Your mate is having some....complications." His thoughts stopped. In the entire duration of his mate's pregnancy, he didn't even think about the issues that could come up.

He should've thought about that.

"...Complications?"

"Yes. We're doing all we can but if worse comes to worse we can save the baby"

"....But what about Kaname?" The nurse's face turned even more sorrowful "Please just...tell me, what's wrong with him..."

"He... started bleeding and we didn't notice until he had lost a lot of blood. There's...a good chance he may not make it."