The Youngest Descendent

Start from the beginning

    "That doesn't really look big enough to be a dress. I mean, unless it's like a really tiny dress I suppose." Peter stated, all five of the Marauders looking at the small brown box the owl had delivered.

    "That's because it's not." James replied with an eye roll, "That's Solaris, must be from your dad."

And as if on cue, the proud owl squawked loudly. The messy haired boy shooed Solaris away from the food, and he left after taking a rasher of bacon with him.

Ellie wasn't expecting anything from her father, she'd received a letter from him last week to wish her well at the ball, and she didn't think he'd write again, let alone send a parcel. The small brown box had a scarlet red ribbon tied around it, rather elegant for Cyrus Gryffin, and Ellie untied and opened the box carefully. It was filled with tissue paper the same scarlet red as the ribbon, it was their family colour after all, but Ellie couldn't see what was wrapped inside of it due to a card that sat on top.

Look after the ring sweetheart, I figured the time has come to pass it on.
And your mother wore this diadem at our wedding. She left it to you.
I thought you may want it for the ball, but if it's not suitable, that is fine also.
Enjoy tonight.
Love always, Your father.

Always a man of few words, Ellie was left rather stunned by the message, James snatching it from her to read himself.

Carefully peeling back the tissue paper, it revealed just as the card had said. A delicate golden diadem lay amongst the paper, a ring of the same metal in the centre of it. All four of the boys watched with wide eyes as Ellie brought the small crown out of the box to inspect closer, Remus nearly spitting his tea onto James in front of him, and Sirius' mouth dropping wide so Peter had a lovely view of the pancakes he was munching on.

    "I guess that's what it means to be a pureblood." Remus stated, blinking rapidly as his eyes fixed on the beautiful head piece.

    "The Gryffindor family doesn't disappoint." James added, often forgetting his best friend came from such a prestigious family line.

Ellie held the piece of golden beauty as if it may break or turn to dust, eyes fixed to the way it was gleaming in the normal Great Hall lighting. Encrusted with tiny red rubies, the thin strips of gold that made up the diadem were intertwined expertly to look as if they were vines of tiny ivy. It wasn't obnoxious and it wasn't so big that it looked made for a queen, but it did demand attention and once you were looking at its intricate design it was difficult to look away. Knowing her mother had previously owned the head piece made it feel even more special to her, having a piece of Adelaide to hold felt like such a privilege, and Ellie didn't quite want to put it down.

The ring left in the box was something a lot more familiar to the beautiful girl. It was the piece of jewellery she'd seen her father wear everyday of her life, Cyrus being known for not taking it off, but Ellie noticed that it had definitely altered in size since she'd last seen it. Probably so it now fit her small fingers. Always having loved the ring herself, but knowing how attached her father was to it, she was now surprised to be in possession of the jewellery. Nevertheless, she gently placed the diadem back into the box, eagerly reaching for the ring she'd always desperately wanted to try on.

As if it was made for her, the ring slid perfectly onto the middle finger of her right hand, the same finger her father always wore it on. In the shape of a lion head, it was a perfect representation of her family heritage, and even though it may take some getting used to due to its chunky nature, Ellie was sure she'd never take it off. Ever.

    "Woah..." Peter exclaimed, not being able to form any other words.

Ellie couldn't contain the huge smile that graced her features. It was an honour to receive such breath-taking gifts, this close to Christmas for that matter too, and there were no words that could be said to express her gratitude and pure awe she was in.