I DON'T WANT TO BE IN THIS FAMILY

Start from the beginning

"Never! That man's music was a curse. I will not allow it." Abuelita told him. Miguel try to reason with her. "If you would just..." But she wouldn't give him the light of day.

"Miguel. You will listen to your family. No more music." Miguel picks up his guitar. "Just listen to me play." Abuelita snatch the guitar from him quickly. "End of argument. You want to end up like that man? Forgotten? Left off your family's ofrenda?" She asked.

"I don't care if I'm on some stupid ofrenda." Abuelita looks at him shock. Then she look angry. She the smashes the guitar right in front of us. "NO! MAMA!" Miguel try to stop her. But it was no use. Once she was done. Destroying the guitar, she tose what was left away.

I look at her shock while Miguel looks hurt. "There. No guitar. No music." Miguel then turn away on the virge of tears. "Aw, come. You'll feel better after you eat with your family."

Miguel snatch the phone from his papa. "I DON'T WANNA BE IN THIS FAMILY!" Then he bolts out of the yard. "Miguel!" I call out to him as I chase after him. I ran into the crowded plaza with Danta. But I didn't see Miguel anyway.

I kneel down to Dante, who was trying to eat a rock he found. I took it out of his mouth throwing it away. Dante try to chase after it but I held him back. "Dante, fouces! We need to find Miguel. Find Miguel, Dante."

Dante looks at me for a second before he gives me a big lick across my face. "...ok... This is find." I said trying to wipe the slobber off my face off. "Alright, if Miguel wants to perform in the talent show. He needs a guitar. But it unlikely these musicians would just let him borrow their guitar." I stood up and made eye contact with Ernesto statue. "... He wouldn't...."

Dante and I ran to the grave yard to see Miguel headed right to Ernesto's tomb. "Dante, stop him!" I order. To my surprise Dante ran at Miguel. Jumping at him. Giving me time to catch up with him. "No, no, no, no. Dante, stop."

Miguel grab a piece of food for the dead. And threw it away. Dante unfortunately chase after it. But at least he let me catch up with Miguel. Before Miguel could continue further. I grab his arm stopping him. "Miguel, I know you want to be a musician. But this is a bad idea!"

He pull his arm free and look at me angrily. "I have to seized my moment, (Name)! This is my last chance!" He told me. "Yeah but it one thing to go behind you're family's back. The worst thing they can do is get mad at you! You're not just stealing. You're stealing from the dead!"

"But Ernesto de la Cruz us my grant-grant grandfather! He'll understand."

"Yeah trying telling that to the security guards. Stealing is still stealing. No matter the excuse you give." I told him. "I'm sorry, (Name). But I have to try." He then turn away and headed to the window. I took a deep sigh. "Why couldn't my best friend be a quite kid who wouldn't do anything?" I asked as I follow after him.

Miguel climb onto the window sill. Pushing on the window. To see that it's of course lock. Just When I thought luck was on my side. Miguel got the idea to wait till the next fire work that goes off. He'll use the sound to drown out his break in.

As we heard the fire work draw close Miguel apologize for what he is about to do. "I'm sorry." The fire work goes off. And Miguel goes in.

I hesitate at first but follow him in. Miguel climbs on the coffin, opening it slightly by accident. He then touch the strings of the guitar. Before looking at the portrait above. "Ernesto de la Cruz. Please don't be mad. I-I'm Miguel. Your great-great-grandson. I-I need to borrow this."

He takes the guitar and climbs down. "Our family thinks music is a curse. None of them understand. But I know you would have. You would have told me to follow my heart.