IX

.~✦ ✵ ∙ ☽ ⋆ ✗ ⋆ ☾ ∙ ✵ ✦~.

C H A P T E R 9 | "Yes, sir."

.~✦ ✵ ∙ ☽ ⋆ ✗ ⋆ ☾ ∙ ✵ ✦~

When this man told me not to be late, he wasn't kidding. As soon as I arrived at the General Guard Station a little before 8, I immediately got dragged along by my now boss, receiving some armor. After trying a few, I fitted perfectly in a set of clean iron armor, some diamond parts littered across it. He said diamonds were needed for someone that was going to be my rank, to show the difference between the higher ups and regulars.

He also told me I would earn a full set of diamond armor if I did my job right. It just made me all too curious about his purple armor and sword. Just how expensive and strong was that stuff?

Hmm, maybe they even have some spare somewhere in the castle... To which I now have access to.. I should discuss this with Wilbur when I'm given have the chance.

After getting used to the armor, and getting trained by the Commander himself- which was extremely tiring by the way, I went from my own training to a super heavy training in a matter of two days. To say I was exhausted when we finally finished was an understatement.

I was laying on a patch of grass, the sounds of swords clashing against each other surrounding me. I quickly finished my drink, careful not to drink the water too fast, whilst watching the people around me train and fight. After a couple minutes of this, a voice I knew by now was heard behind me, clearing his throat.

"So, you think you can handle this? Do realize that today will be the easiest day of training"

The easiest? Oh god, this was going to be a nightmare. I sighed, but nodded. This was good after all, I needed to be better, even if it was a horrible experience. But, ever since we started today, a question laid in my mind, which I just couldn't shake away.

"Um, Sir?"

The male hummed, my eyes flashing up at his face where he stood next to me. "May I ask why you're training me for this position? I see many people surrounding us at this very moment who have been training for much longer and have greater endurance and strength."

The Commanders eyes met mine, and I quickly looked away, eyeing the surrounding guards once more. "Because even though you haven't been trained properly, you're already better than half the people here. You have a great potential, and you'll only improve from here on. Most guards here are already at their top. There are always certain things you can't learn and have to be born with, like intuition and the ability to analyze everything in real time, and many other things. You possess those talents, (Y/n). That's why."

His voice was so calm, saying the words in such a nonchalant tone as if he didn't just give me a great compliment. I blinked a few times, confidence in my skills rising by the flattery.

"Don't flatter yourself too much though, darling, I can see the confident smirk on your lips." He followed, as if reading my thoughts perfectly. I didn't even realize my face gave my thoughts away, and the stupid nickname he randomly gave me didn't do much to help me neutralize my features. The embarrassment rapidly replacing my proud expression with a flustered one.

Damnit.

"You still have a long way to go, don't forget that" He continued, "And if you're not willing to give this your all, your true potential means nothing at all. Don't waste it."

I nodded, blinking a few times again. I've never been flattered and immediately humbled this fast before. Another sigh escaped my lips, closing my eyes for a second before standing back up, cracking my back in the process.

"Then let's continue the training for a bit, no?" I smiled, my muscles already protesting, but I tried my best to ignore them. They'll ache anyways, and he's right. I need to improve fast and use this chance the best I can before I can't anymore.

I didn't miss the bright, inquisitive smile on the commanders face, an interested glint in his observant eyes. He watched as I picked up my sword, before he shook his head, handing me a shield. With the smile still clear on his lips, he hummed whilst taking my sword from me. "Let's train your defense for a bit, hm? Try to block all my attacks"

And so you did.

By the time you were done, most guards were already dismissed and gone, a few still left training as the sky was coated in a beautiful orange and pink, the sun hanging low on the horizon.

"Aaah, well, that sums up the training for today!"

I eyed the raven haired male through my half lidded eyes, not hiding my exhausted physique as I led out a loud groan. "Great job today, darlin! You'll be at the top in no time" He teased, his bright cocky smile taking in every inch of me. How is this man not tired? I mean, he's sweating, so it must've done something to him, but still. This was the most ruthless training I've ever gone through, and the man just acts as if he had to do a quick sprint towards the general goods store because they were about to close in a few minutes.

"Tomorrow is the most important day of the week, so be on your best. You'll meet me at the castle gates at 9, and if you're even a second late, you're out. You may arrive in whichever clothes you see fit, just make sure it's professional and to have your sword on you. I'll take your sword once we go inside, but as my assistant you may never go anywhere without a weapon if I'm not present. Am I clear about all of this?"

I quickly nodded, but that clearly wasn't enough. "Verbally respond to me when I ask you a question" His voice was incredibly harsh and stern, and woke me up enough for me to sit up from my position and open my eyes fully. "Yes, I'm sorry"

"Always address me as 'Sir' or 'Commander', (Y/n)."

As I gritted my teeth, I was half glad that I was too exhausted to bite back on his stupid power trip. Half pissed nevertheless, though.

"Yes, sir." I responded once more, earning a smile and nod from the male.

"Good. Well, make sure to rest early and possibly take a nice bath or shower, because your muscles are going to be hurting tomorrow."

"They already hurt now, actually" I softly complained back, earning a small chuckle from him. Surprisingly, he helped me stand up again and guided me to the entrance, watching as I left before retreating back to his personal office.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

×××

Shorter chapter im sorry!!!