Five

It had been two years since I last dealt with HYDRA. I decided it was best for myself and everyone that I move away and I did. I moved to France, although it was hard to learn their language, it was better if I was speaking a language that wasn't English or Russian. I was living in a little apartment by myself and everyday I would do something new. Like yesterday, I went to the theatre which had been updated to this century but it still felt like I was back in the 1940's. 

It was nice to see life in modern times but I did miss my family a lot. Right now I was on my way back to my apartment from taking a walk around the park. France was calm and I was glad that I decided to move here. I got my key out from my pocket and put it in the keyhole. I turned the doorknob and opened the door which revealed a man who I hadn't seen in a while. 

"Do you know me?" He asked wearing his uniform that was similar to his last one. 

"You're Steve, aren't you? I saw your picture in a newspaper once." I answered. 

"Do you know why I'm here?" 

"No." I whispered.

"There's been a sighting of you and Bucky in Vienna. The two of you blew up a building." Steve explained.

My eyebrows furrowed. "Trust me, I haven't left France in two years. That wasn't me." 

"Well, there's people coming here right now who believe that was you." He added and there was a large bang at my front door. 

"I don't do that stuff anymore. Whatever it was." I shook my head and soon my apartment was surrounded. 

Bombs and bullets were being blasted at my apartment. I did not like it one bit but I had to take cover immediately. Steve's shield hid me from the bullets but there was no point in hiding when I was now a targeted assassin. I left my building and was being chased by not only the local police, but several other people I had either never seen before or vividly remember. 

I ran away from the fight, with Steve on my heels. It wasn't a pleasant experience especially when I was becoming exhausted. Eventually, the police caught up to us and we had to stand down. I was pushed and chained into a clear prison in the back of a truck. There were at least six guards with guns sitting in front of me as we drove to some location. 

Once we had arrived, at said location, I was being transferred from the back of a truck to some kind of cell block. I was all alone with a desk and a chair in front of me, still detained. Just me and my thoughts, along with a few security cameras. This was not how I wanted my day to go.

What felt like forever, a man wearing glasses and a brief case entered my cell. He sat down at the desk in front of me and we both stared at each other until he spoke. 

"Hello, miss Carter. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Your first name is Katherine, is that correct?" 

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to and nor did I have to.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, Katherine? I can't help you if you don't talk to me." The man wondered.

"Kat. My sister called me Kat." I answered.

He nodded and wrote a few things down in his notebook. Who was this guy anyway?

"Tell me, Kat. You've seen a great deal of things, haven't you?" 

I saw flashes of the terrible things that I did over the past replay in my mind. The killing, the shooting, the slaughtering people like they were nothing.

"Don't make me talk about it." I sighed. 

"You fear if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry, we only have to talk about one." He said as he looked at a screen in front of him. 

Suddenly the lights went off and I knew something shady was about to happen.

"What's going on?" I asked, confused.

"Why don't we discuss your home? Not you living in France or Brooklyn. I mean, your real home." 

He took a familiar book out of his brief case. My eyes had widened and I leaned my head back in annoyance. I never wanted to see that book again.

"Longing. Rusted. Seventeen." He began the trigger words.

"No. Stop it! Please!" I begged. 

"Daybreak. Furnace."

My mind was burning and everything I did wrong, was coming back. I was trying my hardest to fight but it wasn't going to be any use when the words were finished. It was already too late, I had broken out of being chained to the clear prison and was punching my way through to get out.

"Nine. Benign. Homecoming. One. Freight car." That was it. The words had been said.

The door flung open and I stood outside of the clear prison.  The man stood in front of me still holding the book but this time with a flashlight. 

"Soldier?" He asked.

"Gotov podchinit'sya." Which meant 'ready to comply'.

"Mission report: August 10th 1945."

That was the first time I was used as the Winter Soldier. My first mission. 

"All targets were acquired for. No survivors." I answered.