[01]: nightmares do that to you.

Start from the beginning

I stood up and sat on the bed, pulling Cora towards me, she just started sobbing on my shoulder just when she reached it. So I soothed her hair out and tried to comfort her.

"I'm sorry, Hazel. This is all my fault." Cora sobbed into my chest.

"Shh, Cora. It's not your fault," I told her, kissing her on the head.

But she ignored me, like I hadn't say anything. "If I weren't dying, dad wouldn't leave us and mom wouldn't jump of that bridge and-"

"Cora, stop it!" I said harshly. "I don't like it when you're blaming yourself. It's not your fault. Dad didn't leave us because of you, and mom didn't commit suicide because of you, okay? Enough of that."

Well it was basically a lie. Two years ago mom decided that taking care of us weren't worth it because, well, my sister's dying and I dropped out from high school because I wanted to help my mom to take care of my sister. But I didn't expect my mom to wake up early in the morning, prepare us our break-last breakfast, and the next thing I knew, we were being taken down to the police station.

"I-"

"Enough." I threatened, just as she stopped crying, but she remained silent in my arms. I refused to let go of her anyway, so I gave her a light squeeze on the hand I was holding. "Everything's going to be fine, Cora."

"Easy for you to say," I could hear her mumble. But I smiled, the Harley I knew was back within minutes. The thoughtful and carefree sister of mine was back. That's the thing about her, she wouldn't let something effect her easily. She was a strong woman.

I grinned and ruffled her hair. Then I suddenly remembered something, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. "Holy shit!"

Cora rolled her eyes as she wiped her tears with her sleeve. "What? No cursing in here!"

I ignored the last part. "I left my bag in the class-"

"Hazel?" A new voice chirped.

I turned my head, my heart was still beating a lot faster because I just realized that I've left literally my entire life in a freaking classroom! Dr. Goodings was by the door, peeking in, she smiled up at Cora and turned to look at me.

I cleared my throat and stood up, fixing my shirt. "How can I help you?"

"Can I speak to you for a moment?" Just as I was about to say anything, she cut me off, again. "In private please."

I thought of it for a moment. I didn't like the sound of this, it was like she was about to tell me some bad news that's going to effect my life forever and-

"Sure, of course! Hazel will meet you in your office!" My sister answered it for me, pushing me away from her bed, half yelling. "Go!"

And so I did.

________

"Hazel, a gentle reminder that-"

"I get it, no running in the hospital." I said bashfully, recalling on how I reacted when I rushed here earlier.

"Yes, that," Doctor Goodings said as she leaned down, pulling a drawer which was located at her desk while I sat there awkwardly in a chair opposite of her. I focused my gaze on the sign placed proudly on her desk that read: Sarah Goodings.

I've been here plenty of times, mostly to discuss about my sister's situation. I remembered the first time I was here, I was told that my sister has Leukemia.

"Well, I just wanted to talk to you about Cora."

"What about her?"

"Have you told her how long does she left?"