Introduction

When I have read about who other writers rate I have always been pleasingly surprised. Writers are eclectic magpies who thieve from a vast array of different sources and genres. As such they are likely to read and recommend anything without prejudice. I have never found a critic's opinion in the mainstream press to be reliable – there are too many hidden agendas and far too much weight is given to "serious literary fiction". However, I have found that the opinions of authors, writing in a genre I love, to be much more likely to serve up a delicious word feast in which to sate my gluttony for a bloody good read.

Following this ramble is a selection of writers whose work I have loved reading here on Wattpad. Some I have only encountered recently, others from day one. They also epitomise what Wattpad is all about. They all offer up work to readers with the expectation that their work can be improved. This is done without reservation and the feedback is really appreciated. In return, they have all helped me greatly with my own writing.

If you have half a brain and are semi-literate, Wattpad is a fantastic place to develop your writing skills. If you can pay close attention to the recommendations that come your way, your writing improves in leaps and bounds. If you are on Wattpad to have fun, then have fun, but why not learn something along the way? The important thing is to experiment: push yourself out of your comfort zone, try writing in different genres, writing in different voices, tenses, points of view, styles etc. All the writers who follow do this but never fear, its not all worthy stuff. They entertain too.

-

PS

This is a note to all readers. Do not assume that the writers on Wattpad know what they're doing. Most of us have day jobs and are making it up as we go along. Many of us are very inexperienced – me included. Talk to us about the things that you like, or confuse you in our stories. It really helps. Don't be fooled by a writers' apparent erudition – knowing lots of words does not mean that you can write a story anyone wants to read. Equally, a writer who can spin a great yarn but has serious grammar issues is going to want to know how to correct those. Tell them. Tell them kindly, though. These are our babies you will be commenting on and it's best not to say, "God, did you know that kid was so ugly?" We may have suspected it but a gentle nudge might be more helpful.

Who will I be writing about here? The list is always growing and represents a range of writers: older or younger, male or female. It will only grow if I actually do any reading, which, with writing is fantastically difficult to balance with work and real life. Not only that, there is an enormous list of books that have already been published that I would like to read before actually passing from this mortal realm. I have had Ernest Hemingway and Herman Melville balanced on my bedside table for far too many years. If I don't get to them soon there might be an accident. I also read rather slowly. I blame all those words. There's so many of the blighters.

For the truly inquisitive, you can at first expect to read me burbling about:

@Cinilla

@SarahPerlmutter

@CarolinaC

@Cursedmouth

@StephenMerlino

@ELaneKeller

@tristam_james

@DeborahWalker7

@LaraBlunte

@SamanthaSLK

@TheOrangutan