She took his face in her hands and said, "Yes, Clark, I'll marry you just as you are. You're everything to me and I need nothing more." She kissed him. He kissed her back.

He took the ring from the box and slipped it on her finger. It was loose. She held her hand up to see the ring better. "It's a lovely ring, Clark."

"It was Ma's. She gave it to me before we left. There's a note saying we might want to get a different setting, one that we like."

She twisted her hand slightly, watching the diamond sparkle. "We could do that." She kissed him again and again. "I love you, Clark." More stars appeared in the sky as they planned their future.

*

The next few weeks more small Maelstroms that blew through, but without the ugly lightning and sharp ozone smell that signaled a breach. "Do you think one of these storms will drag you back to your Earth?" Lexy asked Clark, feeling anxious, as they watched the last few black clouds disappear as they ate dinner in the studio.

"I doubt it. There's no discolored lightning or that strange ozone smell. I've got the night shift this week, so I'll see you in the morning. He kissed her and left. She didn't miss the rush of air as when he flew away in Metropolis, but she remembered it.

Clark patrolled the building during the quiet night shift, and watched building monitors between patrols. He and Thad, his supervisor, watched monitors showing the interior and walkways around the building when Clark saw something on a monitor showing the alley behind the building. Two men in uniforms of the dumpster company walked casually through the alley, lifted the dumpster, moved it several feet, put it back, and left.

Clark was stunned. He couldn't do that now. An Earthman couldn't do that. "Thad," he said, "Someone was messing with the dumpster in the back alley."

Thad reran the tape. "Probably a hack. We'll check it out." He called another guard to watch the monitors and he and Clark went to the alley. There were no signs of anything odd, except the dumpster had been moved several inches from its place.

"We'll report it, and the day shift can check it out. Nothing missing or damaged," said Thad. "Probably some strong guys messing around."

After clocking out the next morning, Clark went to the alley, and examined the dumpster. What were the men interested in? He had a sinking feeling they were aliens brought here by a Maelstrom. While Clark was checking out the dumpster Thad came with the police. They also examined the area. Clark helped them slide the dumpster a few feet away, although he could have shoved it by himself.

"Graffiti," said Thad, pointing to chalk marks on the back of the dumpster. Clark froze, gasping for breath as he read Kryptonian. Not graffiti. A message. He said nothing, but the words burned.

"Ram-Don and Bek-Zad, return to the Phantom Zone by the breach near the pond in Central Park during the next storm. Tell Gen. Zod this Earth is not satisfactory. The super abilities we expected do not occur in this universe. Non and I will return to the Zone through the gate by Belvedere Castle. This breach must be closed and we will open the way between the Zone and Metropolis. Then our glorious General Zod will lead our forces to victory. Faora."

Clark read the message again and again, hoping he imagined it. He didn't. Faora, who blamed Jor-El for banishing her to the Phantom Zone, had escaped more than once and was one of Superman's most dangerous enemies. Her hatred of all men except Zod, their son, and Non, and her ruthlessness to anyone not allied to Zod, threatened everyone.

He took a few pictures with his cell phone, answered questions for the police and left. He walked home slowly, realizing that the Maelstroms could still cause breaches between the universes. He entered the studio apartment to find Lexy waiting for him to prepare breakfast.

Soon eggs and bacon were on the table. Clark ate slowly, appetite lost. Lexy asked, "Want something else? Oatmeal?"

Clark shook his head, finished his meal quickly, and held his coffee cup between his hands. He had come to a hard decision. He had to investigate the message quickly, and confirm what he feared was about to happen. Then he must tell Lexy immediately, for it affected her as much as him.

"I've got to check on something that happened at the building last night. I can wash the dishes if you're ready to leave."

"Thanks. Is something troubling you?"

"I don't know yet." He looked at her. "I hope not. I'd rather talk about it when I'm sure."

"Sure, Clark," she replied, and got ready to leave. Clark kissed her goodbye before cleaning the kitchen.

He sat thinking for a while, then called the company that provided the dumpster and trash services for the building. He told personnel he was looking for the men who handled the office building. He learned two new employees handled were assigned to it. One man was a Donald Ram; the other was a tall, dark-haired man, who couldn't speak, named Nonnie Ram. His description matched Non, General Zod's ally. They had quit that morning, Ram reason was they needed to return home.

Clark thanked the person and hung up. He searched the net until he found the address for Donald Ram. It wasn't far. It began raining lightly, a Maelstrom with a few lightning strikes. Clark put on the Superman suit he hadn't worn in weeks, and put his clothes on over it.

He walked to the address, buying a fruit basket to deliver as an excuse. He spoke to the concierge, and $50 got him the information that the men, Donald and Beck Ram, had moved out that morning, citing family problems. Their sister, Faora Ram, would be back to collect her things. She was bailing the third brother out of jail. "Big, tall, dark-haired fellow. Can't speak. Not all there, but not stupid, just thinks real slow, ya know?

"I know," said Clark, remembering Non's lobotomy. Clark's world changed forever. "I need Faora Ram's signature, so I'd better take the basket with me. My boss will make other arrangements."

The concierge, examining the $50 bill before pocketing it, said, "That woman pure hates men. Never tipped me even when I walked groceries up seven flights to her apartment. Only likes her brothers. I think she'd stab me in the back if she could get away with it."

"My boss will manage. Thanks." Clark left to find a place to wait for Faora and Non to arrive.