34. Loss

Behind me, Fred, George and the others stormed from the stands down to where I stood. Some of the teachers tried to pull Harry away from Cedric's body. I just stood there in shock and tried to process the whole scene.

He. was. dead.

When my brain finally realized that, I let out a painful scream and broke down on my knees.

I never had a chance to forgive him, to talk to him ... He couldn't be dead. He MUST not be dead. Why did it happen to him? What had he done to deserve something like that?!

Fred and George quickly kneeled to my right and left and both hugged me tightly. At that moment I didn't even notice that Fred was at my side, I could only look at Cedric's body.

At his stare, his empty gaze. Every part of my body felt heavy and I was shaking.

"That's my son!" shouted Cedric's father who got down on his knees in front of the lifeless body of his son and began to sob. "That's my boy!" The sight broke my heart.

With Fred and George's help, I slowly got up again, almost collapsing again. They both held me tight and Fred hugged me to make sure I wouldn't break down again. At that moment I would have loved to pass out in order not to see it all. I didn't want to see Cedric lying lifeless on the grass.

"He's back! Voldemort!" shouted Harry as they tried to pull him away from the body.

A cold shiver ran down my spine at the name. Voldemort ... and that's when I remembered. Riddle ... he must have told his father about it. It was his fault! Because of him, Cedric was dead. Because of him, those who had been close to Cedric suffered from pain.

George brushed a strand of hair back from my face and tried to calm me down, but I couldn't hear what he said to me. It was like every sound around me was drowned out in the crowd, the only thing I heard was his father's screams and sobs.

I never had time to say goodbye, I wanted to tell him after the third task that I would forgive him. But it should never come to that.

I could have prevented it, I told myself. I could have talked to him earlier.

But the truth was that all of these self-accusations brought nothing but more sadness and sorrow.

I didn't want it to bother me like that. But he had been a good friend of mine, and even if we had arguments and he had acted like a dick, nobody deserved death, especially not Cedric Diggory. He had a pure heart and was the person who least deserved to be murdered by Voldemort.

"Come on, let's go away from here." Fred and George dragged me away from the stadium, back to the castle.

Many students walked in front of and behind us, some cried, others were just silent. However, there wasn't a single human soul that laughed, smiled, or was even somehow happy. The day should have ended with a huge celebration, but not like that. I tried to concentrate on my surroundings but the image of Cedric's body kept popping up in front of my inner eye.

I narrowed my eyes to block the picture as I clung tighter to the twins. When I got to Gryffindor Tower, both of them accompanied me to my room.

"We're staying here tonight." said Fred and hurried out of the room.

"What? No. Honestly you don't have to-" Fred came back with two sleeping bags and his and George's things.

"Fred is right. We know you cared about him, so we stay."

"I probably won't sleep tonight though." I warned both of them.

"If you don't, then neither will we." they sat down next to me on the bed.