Chapter 12: The Full Moon (part 1)

(Sorry for the long wait and thank y'all for the support and encouragement❤)

"What!" Varian exclaimed. He held out the vial for Cass to take and she took it. "I saw Andrew tell him to use them on me, why would Nigel just give them to us?" She questioned as she took a closer look at the petals.

"Maybe he came in here earlier to try to get the petals to release their poison but when he saw how it was effecting me he couldn't bring himself to do this to anyone else," Varian said after he thought for a moment, "then when they met up again he knew Andrew was getting impatient, came to warn us, and gave us the petals so Andrew wouldn't have them?"

"You think he was telling the truth?" Cass asked as she put the vial on the desk. "I do," answered a voice they both recognized. Varian froze and Cass quickly turned around. "Hey Cassie, long time no see," the man said, leaning on the door frame looking at his sword. "Don't call me Cassie, Andrew," Cass growled, drawing her sword as she went towards him. "Aw, why not? You let that little brat call you that," Andrew responded, pointing his sword towards the alchemist.

Cass stepped in front of Andrew, blocking Varian from his view and narrowed her eyes. She pointed her sword at the criminal before Varian began coughing. She lowered her blade as she looked back at the alchemist, concerned.

"How pathetic," Andrew chuckled, "You actually care for this little brat?". This only enraged Cass. She looked back at the man with a fire in her eyes and pointed her sword at his chest. "Call him that again, I dare you!" The woman growled, looking Andrew straight in the eye.

"Fine, how about a menace, a nuisance, a boy who can't do anything right... a traitor who doesn't deserve to live," the criminal retorted, making Cass more mad. She couldn't take it anymore and swung her sword at Andrew. He blocked it then launched a counterattack, starting a duel.

"Why are you trying to stop me? He hasn't done anything for you, why are you trying to save this traitor? He's going to be dead in less then two days anyway," Andrew spat, strongly pushing his sword down against Cass's. "Because he's my friend! If you mess with my friend you mess with me!" Cass exclaimed. She suddenly pushed up with full force then kicked the man in the stomach, making him stumbled back and drop his sword. "And you do not want to mess with me." The woman finished, pointing her blade at him.

Andrew backed up till he bumped into Varian's desk. He looked back at it then saw his sword on the floor near one of the legs of the desk. Thinking fast, he grabbed the sword and delivered a swift cut to the woman's upper arm. Cass hissed in pain, quickly glanced at the cut then back up just in time to see Andrew dash towards the door.

The man opened the door and was met with two blades, belonging to the captain and John. "Going somewhere?" Eugene said then Cass went over, cornering the criminal in the door. Andrew dropped his sword and slowly put his hands up. He glared at Cass as Eugene handcuffed him. He was then led to the dungeon by John and one other guard.

Once Andrew was gone, Eugene stepped into the room, soon followed by Rose. "You okay?" He asked. "He should be, I wouldn't let Andrew anywhere near him," Cass answered, looking over at Varian. "I know you wouldn't, that's why I was asking you," Eugene replied then looked at where she was holding her arm. "Oh, uh, yeah I'm fine, it's just a scratch," she responded, lifting her hand to reveal the cut. "It doesn't look too bad," Rose noted, looking at Cass's wound then she began to clean out and bandage it.

"Thank you Cassie," Varian said. Cass looked over to see him giving her a greatful smile then went over to him. "You don't need to thank me Varian, it's what friends do," Cass responded. "Right, friends," the boy repeated, almost sadly. Realizing what she said, Cass winced then look over to the nurse, who just facepalmed.