May I have this Dance?

The royal wizard sat at the farthest table from the party where everyone dancing, it was a royal ball, and yet, Mateo sat alone in the corner where he pondered his thoughts. Meanwhile, Naomi watches Mateo with a confused expression, she noticed her friend staring off into space while twirling his glass cup. It wasn't like that for him to sit alone away from the laughter and dancing. Naomi walked over to Elena where she was having her fill of chocolate from the chocolate fountain, much to the princess's delight. Just as Elena was about to dip her strawberry into the melted goodness, Naomi tapped her on the shoulder as Elena's bright smile turned into a frown as she looked in the direction Naomi pointed at. There, a familiar figure in the shadows, with their head hung down.

"Do you know what's up with Mateo?" Naomi asked, her frown visibly shown in her tone and face.

Elena shook her head and watched as Mateo got up, looked around, and walked out the doors with no one even noticing other than the two girls. "I'll go check on him" Elena said, placing her hand on Naomi's shoulder before walking after her dear friend.

Just as she walked out the doors, finding no sign of her royal wizard, she quickened her pace as she walked around the palace garden before finding him under a tree with his head in his arms. Walking slowly, she kneed down to her friend before placing her hands over his, surely getting his attention.

"Hey Mateo, what are you doing out here alone?" Elena asked softly as she brushed his curls away from his eyes.

Mateo bit his bottom lip as he opened his mouth but closed it right after, instead, asking her a question of his own. "What are you doing out here Elena?"

Elena shook her head gently before sitting down right in front of him, "I asked first and to answer your question, Naomi pointed at you in the shadows just as I were about to eat and I saw you walk away with no notice, why is that Mateo?"

"It- It's nothing really, I just needed some fresh air" Mateo flashed her a crooked grin to ease her but it only made her more concerned. Deciding not to push anymore, she moved to sit beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. Both enjoying the moment in silence with nothing else but each other. Elena decided to break the silence and asked, "So, why do you need some fresh air?"

Mateo sighed as he took in the chilly night air and the warm Elena just beside him, "I just have a lot of things going through my mind, a bit of this and a bit of that. You know? Just being occupied."

Elena thought about what he said, she knew he does think quite often but leaving so suddenly and laying his head on crossed arms was not a Mateo kind of thing. So, she hummed in response as she got on her feet and offered her hand towards him. "Come on, I wanna show you something."

Intrigued, he answered with his own smile as he took her hand, "Okay Elena."

Elena flashed her most dazzling smile at him as she leaded him to the far back of the garden, while watching Mateo stare at the scenery in awe. Finally reaching a more secretive spot, she let go of Mateo's hand, immediately feeling the loss of warmth from his hand in hers. Mateo watched as Elena stood in front of him with a smile and something else behind her eyes that he couldn't quite define. She stepped closer as she placed her hands on his shoulder and one down to his sash-tied waist. Realizing what her intentions were, he responded by placing his own hands on her shoulder and one close the the curve of her waist, his heart pounding against his chest.

Starting to follow the catchy Avaloran music that played in their minds, they danced with their own signature smiles as she sighed in contentment, leaning forward and laying her head between his neck and shoulder, her hand on his waist adjusted so she could move even closer if that was possible. Mateo froze at her close proximity, slowly moving his hand from her waist to the small of her back. Slowly but surely, Elena starts to fall asleep feeling safe and warm in the arms of her royal wizard. He starts to feel Elena leaning more on him so wrapping his arms around her shoulders in a warm embrace was one way to keep her steady as she fell into the arms of sleep.

"Maybe we should go back inside?" Mateo said quietly as he looked down to see her closed eyes and soft smile.

"Mmm, just 10 more minutes" Elena muttered sleepily as she wrapped her arms comfortably around his neck.

Mateo just chuckled softly as Elena fell fast asleep in that moment, carrying her up in his arms with her head still between his neck and shoulder with a smile. He couldn't help but feel an overwhelming happiness that she would come to see him even when no one else would other than Naomi and actually danced with him to bring back his goofy smile. Walking through the hallways and finally reaching her room, he moved her hand to his shoulder to open her door. Settling her down into bed, he watched her stir and face him after he placed her blanket on her.

Mateo moved forward and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead as he whispered, "Buena noches mi major amiga."

Just as he was about to leave, his hand was grabbed at none other than Elena as she pleaded him to stay with sleepy half-lidded eyes. Though the tone she used was enough to make Mateo do anything and everything he can for her. Pulling him back on her bed, she pulled Mateo down until he was laying beside her. Resting her head on his shoulder and her arm across his chest, she let out a sigh of relief before drifting off into dreamland, with her dearest friend beside her. Mateo wrapped an arm around her as he too, drifted off to sleep, dreaming of the one person who makes him the luckiest and happiest man in all of Avalor - Elena - .