Running in the rain

Start from the beginning

- Do you really think I had nothing planned for us tonight ?

The surprise his words caused made my mouth form a silent O and it was Jake's turn to chuckle.

- You almost had me when you didn't answer my texts, I'll give you that, but everything was already set anyway, y'know, just in case. So... shall we go ?

It was true I got a bit sneaky by kind of making him believe I might not be able to come to his show tonight but, in all fairness it was all bluff, we had planned this together. As romantic as the idea sounded, it was unrealistic to surprise someone as busy as Jake by suddenly barging in without telling him first. Even on our anniversary. The man had a life beside me, and it would've been more than right if he had planned something with the band instead. And yet, after all this time together, Jake still found ways to surprise me. It was like the magic we feel at the beginning of every relationship hadn't worn out, instead settling with us and gracing us of its spark, keeping every touch electric, every moment spent together ecstatic.

Fortunately, no interview was set tonight, and as for the few fans waiting in front of the venue, Jake was the first one to great them while I was waiting for him near the backdoor not to draw attention on ourselves. It was always fun, looking at him exchanging with fans, witnessing his astounded yet admirative face whenever he received gifts, and hugging them tightly with shared respect and love. He didn't look like it, but Jake was a very expressive guy, I had come to learn. You could always read the interest in his eyes when he spoke to a fan, giving them his full attention, and the way the corner of his lips would slowly stretch into a friendly smile when you joked with him. And thus, his joy was communicative. Like a tidal wave of delight hitting everyone around him, and bathing them in warm emotions. We often used the idiom « What you see is what you get » to sell goods, well... Jake was exactly like that. Nothing hidden, just everything laying on the surface... And I really liked what I saw. In a way that might make sense only to me, he was real.

The chilling air of Spring rised in the trees, causing the leaves to whistle, the fans to shiver, and Jake's head to perk up in my direction, checking in on me. A reassuring smile didn't stop him from saying goodbye, leaving the girls in Josh's care to get back to me. Rough fingers found mine, and we disappeared in the dark of the night to our secret rendez-vous.

The evening was quiet, Jake and I's voices chatting pleasantly, interrupting the birds' conversations, breathing in the sugary scent of blooming, just enjoying each other's company. The streets were busy, even at this hour, but it didn't matter. In fact, nothing mattered to us in this moment except the other. Taking the lead, Jake took me into a park near the venue, forcing us to get through fluffy bushes, not really knowing where our feet were going to land on the uneven ground. We looked like little kids going on an adventure in their parents' garden, with him pulling my hand with excitment and merrily shushing me when I asked questions. Playing along, I followed closer as we sunk in deeper into -how Jake called it- the wilderness, pushing aside branches from our way and letting the wild grass caress our calves until he stopped on his tracks, announcing this was the place. And oh, it was. Taking a breath in, I let him gently pull my hand so I could stand by his side.

It was the perfect spot under the stars. We were high enough to admire the city lights, a million of minuscule dots shining lightly in different colors, like a flower field that sprawled infinitely, kissing the sky on its horizon. Opening his backpack, Jake wordlessly pulled a blanket out of it, spreading it neatly in the fluffy grass, motioning me to sit.

- Are we having a picnic ?

- We are !, replied Jake with the same enthusiastic tone while freeing the sandwiches of their plastic prison. Because you know I figured- Who on earth likes fancy restaurants ? All those... gourmet dishes with exquisite flavors, prepared by renowned chefs... Nah, screw that, let's have peanut butter jelly sandwiches sitting on a plaid.