Running in the rain

It was a really strange feeling, seeing him onstage. And it was even more uncanny the way his head would suddenly raise to stare at me, eyes sparkling with joy. The girls next to me would push and scream, giggling loudly, and I couldn't blame them for thinking it was for them, while I would shyly look away in a vain attempt to hide the blush creeping up my cheeks. The truth was that Jake only had eyes for me. But they'd never know.

Some time ago, I too was on the other side of the stage. Sharing forbidden glimpses. The ghost of a touch when his hand would brush past mine across the barricade. Smiles, in the rarest moments. All those memories from a past that seemed so ancient it almost felt like a dream, slowly fading away as days passed.

It was so easy to ignore everything that wasn't Jake, even more so when he was so caught up in his solo. The melody would reach my ears, and the whole world around me would be forgotten. Whether it was the cheering crowd of loyal fans, applauding and whistling. Josh frolicking back and forth on the stage with his oh so charming smile and tambourine. Sam, letting his hands through his long luscious locks before taking a drink, making all the girls cry in awe. Danny, always the serious one, never missing a beat on his drums, even when Jake was leading and going to unknown destinations with his melodies. Even with all of this, the sounds, one by one, disappeared, except for the torturous notes escaping from the guitar. They were all slowly fading to black, leaving Jake the only one under the spotlight of my mind. And with unconcealed admiration, I smiled fondly.

                                                                                              * * *

- I was really surprised to see you here tonight ! You didn't text me so I thought you couldn't make it.

Jake was beaming, glee exhaling through his every pore, still high on adrenaline. He couldn't dream of a better surprise than us being together tonight, and I knew it. It was the very reason why I didn't think twice before booking a flight to see him.

- You know what day we are. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

For a second, I could see him soften at my words, and it made my heart flutter. Such saps we made... and of course Sam was enjoying reminding it to us every damn minute. Tonight, though, he made us the gift of settling for a disgusted grimace instead of a scoff, but nevertheless got kicked out of the dressing room by my boyfriend handing me a drink.

- Me neither, he finally replied, sore throat making his voice hoarser than usual.

Jake was all over me the second he had downed his glass of water, gently pining me against the wall, both arms framing my face, preventing me from escaping him. Like I'd ever wanted to run away from him. Through long lashes, his dark eyes trailed all over me, devouring me without even touching me... And I gladly returned the favor, darting my gaze on his Adam's apple, admiring the way it bobbed when Jake swallowed. Before I even knew it, my eyes were venturing further south, where his unbuttoned shirt reaveled skin covered sweat glimmering in the dim lights of the green room like caramel slowly melting under the sun, yet hiding the best parts behind those few buttons, like it was teasing me, asking me to rip them open. I licked my lips unknowingly and Jake seemed to read the mood because his body not-so-subtly pressed against mine, efficiently trapping me under his hot self, resting his forehead on mine.

- You know..., he huskily whispered, I can think of a few ways to celebrate...

I couldn't help a chuckle from escaping my throat, shaking my head in fake disbelief.

- Your romanticism will never cease to amaze me.

As his only answer, Jake shrugged, lips pursed in a comical « why not » face, and I rolled my eyes, gently pushing his torso to brush past him, arms already crossing against my chest. Swiftly, his fingers locked against the crook of my elbow to bring me close to him once again, his free hand resting on my neck, keeping me in his grasp like he couldn't physically bear for us to be apart even for a minute.