115

Hans had been reprimanded for a relationship with another young boy and had begun to drift towards the German youth movement which was often in conflict with the belief structure of the Hitler Youth even after the charges were dropped, his rising disquiet and new found relations with a young woman called Traute Lafrenz meant he began to look for a way to resist. Whilst Hans had grown disillusioned with the Hitler Youth movement, Sophie too grew to be sceptical of Nazi policies that had influenced the BDM and her schooling. After being scolded for recommending an author whom was Jewish, Anti War and Left wing writer - Sophie remarked that those who did not know [Heinrich] Heine did not know literature.

Each Scholl child would gradually grow in opposition to the government, they intensely dislike the restrictions that Nazi policies placed upon their ability to listen to certain music, read certain books or poetry and speak to friends who had been deemed undesirable by the regime. Sophie was outspoken and would be summoned before the principal of her school on multiple occasions for her words and warned that she would be prevented from continuing on her desired career path if she continued to speak out . Despite this and even with her partner being a avid supporter of Hitler; Sophie would risk all by continuously speaking out against the fuhrer and his Nazi regime.

She briefly taught as a kindergarden teacher before a brief but compulsory under Nazi Policies in the National Labour service before enrolling at the University of Munich to study biology and philosophy. Women being involved in certain work or continuing their studies was highly discouraged in Germany as the focus shifted on women being mothers rather that active participants in work or study. The focus was on the propagation of the Aryan race. During this time, Hans served in the medical corps and alongside future White Rose members - would witness the horrors of the front line that galvanised their opposing belief structure. During this time, their father was also arrested for a comment he had made to an employee, he had called Hitler 'a scourge on mankind' and had subsequently been reported by said employee.

Sophie Scholl's fiance Fritz Hartnagel wrote to her of the atrocities of the Eastern Front, the Nazi propaganda machine could not quell the information that travelled back from soldiers who wrote of the things they saw and soon the students of Germany, Hans and Sophie included, became acutely aware of the vile acts committed by the Nazi Regime. Hans Scholl and a friend were spurred into action, designing and distributing leaflets that would soon become the first of the 'leaflets of the white rose' of which the first four would appear between the years of 1940 and 1942.