Chapter 16: Villain (1)

Comincia dall'inizio

"I'm guessing Chloe told you." Marinette continued, flipping a page in her book of evidence. "She doesn't need to apologize. If anyone should be apologizing, it should be me. She didn't do anything wrong, I did. I shouldn't have gone silent like that. I didn't explain to her that-"

"But it's because she didn't know that she should ask what made you react the way you did. For future reference. And to avoid making the same mistake." Adrien said, looking up from his book. "Of course, you don't have to specifically tell her-"

"It's because of my brother." Marinette cut off, closing her book and looking straight at Adrien. "This will be the first Christmas...since his death...a Christmas without him..." Marinette trailed.

He was right? But wait...first Christmas without him? If they were siblings, surely the two would've celebrated various Christmas together...right?

"When Marinette said she had siblings, she told me she had two in total although it used to be three. My guess is that, well...he has moved on."

Moved on...

Marinette did move from Gotham to Paris, remembering that she used to go to Gotham Academy. Surely the two had to have been greatly involved in each other's lives if Marinette remembered her brother dearly; they had to have had a tight relation with each other. To be attached to each other-

"-to the hip." Alfred's words finished off for him.

Wait...what was it he had said after that?

"Even after the two were taken by different families, the two went to the same school and stayed together. But when Jason died, her parents took her with them to open up their business in Paris. To start anew and let Amira recover from his death."

That had to be a coincidence...yeah! A complete coincidence!

There was no way- but now that he thought about it...it kind of made sense.

For starters, Marinette didn't look like either of her parents. She was of a darker complexion and has emerald eyes.

Despite knowing French, Marinette spoke in a dialect that seemed more like Metropolitan French opposed to Parisian French, although her French also seemed to have Canadian influence as well. He remembered that during a spar of theirs, she accidentally said 'aweille' instead of 'allez.'

Her English, for that matter, sounded more natural to her than her French, often hearing Marinette more relaxed when she spoke it.

Marinette also seemed to give off an aura of having already learned her materials, Adrien then remembering how she reacted to learning he was home schooled.

It seemed like she was somehow able to empathize with-

"-need to pick that up?" Marinette asked, snapping Adrien from his thoughts.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Your phone. It's been ringing for a while."

Sure enough, it as, Adrien realizing it was his father. He never called unless...oh no...

Did...Did he notice?! Already?!

Quickly getting up, Adrien dumped the book he was reading into his bag and knocked the chair down. While picking it up, his bag slid down his arm and hit the floor.

Apologizing to Marinette about having to leave her alone, he quickly ran to his locker to grab his coat in case he needed to go out.

Calling his father back, Adrien couldn't even let a word out.