Chapter 14: Wayne Gala

Start from the beginning

"Not at all! Sometimes we forget the connections we have with one another, so things like this tend to happen. Now, I'm pretty sure the two of you are tired from your flight. Alfred, if you would show them to their rooms?"

With a bow, Alfred ushered the guests to their rooms, Adrien and Chloe taken aback by the massive portraits in one of the halls that they passed by.

While the two wanted to ask Alfred who the smaller boy in one of the portraits was, they couldn't bring themselves to ask when they saw M. Pennyworth look at it with sadness in his eyes.

In one particular photo, Adrien couldn't help but notice a small girl in the distance, feeling as he had seen that girl before.

Or maybe he was just drawn to her bright smile that warmed up him as he walked through the chilly manor.

"Here are your rooms, Miss Chloe, Master Adrien. I hope they are to your expectations." Alfred said, signaling towards the two rooms across from each other. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

-----

Barbara sat in class, tuning out her professor as he talked about the different sectors of the brain.

That's when she saw a notification on her phone, making sure to not let a sigh escape her as she read it.

Grabbing her things, Barbara left the lecture hall without another word, dreading the fact that she is going to have to ask someone else for notes in her next class.

Her finger hovered over the name of the person who was the subject of the text, wondering if this was a good idea.

She was glad to know she was sent to voicemail.

"Hey, Tim just filled me in. Are you sure this is a good idea? Please call me when you get the time."

With that said, Barbara pocketed her phone and directly headed to Wayne Manor, not liking the heavy premonition weighing in her mind.

What were they thinking?

Didn't they realize that all of their secrets were in danger by having two outsiders within the manor?

Sighing, Barbara prepared herself for the possible danger that may ensue from this.

-----

Chloe just couldn't stand doing nothing, so when she asked Alfred what places they were allowed to roam in, she wasn't expecting a gym as an option.

Of course, there was no way in hell Chloe was going to expose herself by going to the gym, so she asked to be guided to the manor's library. Adrien happily tagged along, talking about wanting to start on some of their homework before heading back to Paris in two days.

"Chlo! I found us a place." Adrien squealed, dragging her to a spot near the library windows where a perfectly placed desk with floor seats there, beckoning them to sit.

Adrien quickly sat down on the tri colored one while Chloe hesitated to sit on the other one that was black with golden threads.

"This feels wrong." Chloe ended up blurting out, quickly getting up from it. "I feel as if-"

"Chloe, you're just nervous about being here. Just take a seat and do a bit of homework, it'll take your mind off the uneasiness."

But the uneasiness wouldn't leave her. She felt as if they weren't supposed to be sitting there...as if the seats weren't meant to be used by anyone but those who usually sat there...

With a sigh, she complied. "I guess you're right." Maybe she was uneasy.

-----

An hour passed until Adrien got up, stretching his legs a bit.